Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7800 Extremely SLOW WIFI Download speed to a Crawl

CT074
Follower

C7800 Extremely SLOW WIFI Download speed to a Crawl

I have Cox Cable Internet service plan with 1000 Mbps download speed.  I bought the Nighthawk C7800 WIFI Cable Modem Router.  It is supposed to give optimal WIFI download speed of up to 1000Mbps.  I had good initial download speed of about 500 to 600 MBPS  for about a month, then it has been very poor.  I typically get only 80 to 110 Mbps now. 

Cox rebooted the router on their end without improvement.  Cox also sent technician on site.  They verified that I get 500-600Mbps when I connect my PC to the C7800 modem/router directly with cable, but get only 80-110 Mbps when using WIFI, even if I am right next to the router.

Netgear lists Cox as approving only the older firmware version of V3.01.38, while my connection to Netgear website shows that it is using V3.01.40.  The Cox tech suppport does not detect any degraded pocket loss on their view.  So what is the problem? 

I bought the C7800 specifically trying to avoid separate router and cable modem, to assure fastest download speed.  But it is now a mess, not even as good as older Netgear router.  Sometimes it crawl down to 0.5Mbps.   It is a shame to be like this.  I have spent numerous hours trying to find solution.

Can someone help me out on this?  Thank you very much in advance!   

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: C7800 Extremely SLOW WIFI Download speed to a Crawl

Wired speeds should be to spec.

Depending upon what you using for wireless devices and speed testing and how you have the modem setup, you'll not see anything much over 400Mpbs on 5Ghz. 

Message 2 of 5
PHXwings
Aspirant

The C7800 modem/router is a huge disappointment. I had the same issue - worked fine for about four months and then for some reason my wifi speeds, which were in the 450mbps - 500mbps range suddently throttled back to 500kbps (with a "K"). They didn't stay there consistently, but the speed was all over the place. If I'm on a device and it takes a while for a page to load I know the speed has dropped off a cliff, and if I run a speed test at the moment it will confirm the speed is stuck in low gear. I had Cox Cable (ISP) out to check the line coming into the back of the C7800 and they confirmed it at 1.25gbps. The guy hard-wired his device into the back of the router and he saw speeds of only 78mbps - 250mbps. Fortunately, he was able to witness it himself. He ran some other tests on the line to make sure it wasn't anything on their end and all parameters were where they should be. The culprit turned out to be the C7800. So, I called Netgear and paid for an extended warranty for one year ($140) and still no resolution. The tech support had me change some configurations in the advanced setup but no joy. Seriously, this thing should work out of the box, as it did from the get-go. A retail user shouldn't have to be in the router settings changing configurations. Definitely will never use a Netgear product again.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What ISP service are you with?

What FW is currently loaded on the modem? 

@PHXwings wrote:

The C7800 modem/router is a huge disappointment. I had the same issue - worked fine for about four months and then for some reason my wifi speeds, which were in the 450mbps - 500mbps range suddently throttled back to 500kbps (with a "K"). They didn't stay there consistently, but the speed was all over the place. If I'm on a device and it takes a while for a page to load I know the speed has dropped off a cliff, and if I run a speed test at the moment it will confirm the speed is stuck in low gear. I had Cox Cable (ISP) out to check the line coming into the back of the C7800 and they confirmed it at 1.25gbps. The guy hard-wired his device into the back of the router and he saw speeds of only 78mbps - 250mbps. Fortunately, he was able to witness it himself. He ran some other tests on the line to make sure it wasn't anything on their end and all parameters were where they should be. The culprit turned out to be the C7800. So, I called Netgear and paid for an extended warranty for one year ($140) and still no resolution. The tech support had me change some configurations in the advanced setup but no joy. Seriously, this thing should work out of the box, as it did from the get-go. A retail user shouldn't have to be in the router settings changing configurations. Definitely will never use a Netgear product again.

Message 4 of 5
PHXwings
Aspirant

Cox Communications

v6.01.07

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation