× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1000 Modem and RAX120 radio interference

thenorn_2012
Tutor

CM1000 Modem and RAX120 radio interference

I recently upgraded to Xfinity's gigabit plan and upgraded my router and modem to the RAX120 and CM1000. Yesterday was the first time I had both devices hooked up and operating at the same time. I immediately noticed issues where the modem would drop Internet connection to the router sporadically, but more often when trying to connect or disconnect from WIFI.  After some troubleshooting steps and under the recommendation of netgear, I replaced the router with a new one today. Originally, I had the modem right next to the router and though perhaps there might be an issue with interference from the antennas, so I separated the two to add some distance.  My network has been working great since I did that.  To experiment, I put the devices back near each other again. Immediatly, the internet went out and I had to power cycle the modem.  I repeated this a few times and the internet dropped every time. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with these two devices?

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
jay_w
Apprentice

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I have 1200 with the RAX120 and I have them separated by at least 14 inches with a 24” CAT8 heavily shielded cable. I did this out of “practice” but never imagined that someone would actually see interfere. How close together did you put them before seeing the interference?
Message 2 of 3
thenorn_2012
Tutor

I had the modem on a shelf with the router.  The modem was to the left of the router, and was about 6 inches away from the routers antenna.  I have not tested to see how far away they need to be in order to avoid interference.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7