× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1100 and RAX120 Interference

devdelimited
Tutor

CM1100 and RAX120 Interference

Since the other thread was closed for comments, I wanted to post that this is still very much an issue.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/CM1000-Modem-and-RAX120-radio-inte...

It would appear that the CM1100 is insufficiently sheilded - at least not well enough to prevent the RAX120 from knocking it offline when the two are in close proximity. How close? You'll just have to play with it. For me, a few inches was too close, and about 2 - 3 feet was fine.

Thanks to @thenorn_2012.

Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
thenorn_2012
Tutor

Re: CM1100 and RAX120 Interference

@devdelimited wrote:

Since the other thread was closed for comments, I wanted to post that this is still very much an issue.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/CM1000-Modem-and-RAX120-radio-inte...

It would appear that the CM1100 is insufficiently sheilded - at least not well enough to prevent the RAX120 from knocking it offline when the two are in close proximity. How close? You'll just have to play with it. For me, a few inches was too close, and about 2 - 3 feet was fine.

Thanks to @thenorn_2012.

I have found that vertical clearance helps. You can have them really close with one above the other. I have my router on a shelf just about the modem now. I have not experienced any addtitional issues since my initial post. The router and modem are both rock solid, assuming the modem isn't near the router antenna.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
thenorn_2012
Tutor

@devdelimited wrote:

Thanks to @thenorn_2012.

I have found that vertical clearance helps. You can have them really close with one above the other. I have my router on a shelf just about the modem now. I have not experienced any addtitional issues since my initial post. The router and modem are both rock solid, assuming the modem isn't near the router antenna.

Message 2 of 6
devdelimited
Tutor

Your teachings are wise. I, too, have elevated my RAX120 with effective results.

Message 3 of 6
thenorn_2012
Tutor

I initially called Netgear for assistance on the issue, and described it in great detail with information on how to replicate. I even went as far as recording a short video of the issue as it was happening and providing photos of the setup. I became frustrated with all the tests they were asking me to perform. It's in my opinion that the manufacturer should have the appropriate lab environment to test their own equipment. They were claiming they couldn't replicate the issue, however the agent was not testing the modem with an active cable connection.

Message 4 of 6
devdelimited
Tutor

Shhhh.. They'll hear you! Smiley LOL

I had the same experience with a different issue. They couldn't get the Nighthawk software to play nice with a connected SSD and my Mac's Time Machine capabilities. So, they asked me to be their guinea pig for like two months. When it became clear to me that they had no intention of setting up their own hardware to test their own betas, I gave up and stopped doing their testing for them. I'm a software developer myself. I get paid for my time.

So, as you can imagine, I had no faith that they would be able to do anything tangible about this interference issue.

Message 5 of 6
Topology
Virtuoso

As a test, consider positioning the modem so that it is perpendicular (rather than parallel) to the router's antenna “wings” on the same horizontal surface. In other words, it is possible (?) that the problem might be ameliorated by orienting the modem such that the “NETGEAR” logo on the wide side of the device is facing front.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7