× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1100 to R7960P router using LAN aggregation to a 4 and 8 port unmanned switch

Rwoody
Aspirant

CM1100 to R7960P router using LAN aggregation to a 4 and 8 port unmanned switch

Hey Guys (Gals) I'm trying to figure out how to set up my home network the best. I just got the modem and router and noticed LAN aggregation between the two but then I only have two ports left for wired devices. Okay I have lots of devices to be connected via wire, my alarm control, camera DVR, smart hub for my garage door, 2 computers, etc... I am on Comcast and it is pretty fast. I'm thinking the best use of my bandwidth will be LAN aggregation between the modem and router BUT here is the rub I only have two ports left I was thinking of putting an unmanned 8 port switch on one of them for aux demands, alarm system, cameras, smart hub, etc and a 4 port hub for my 2 computers and maybe my main TV for no lag streaming. Is this acceptable? Is this the ideal setup for me? Thanks
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1100 to R7960P router using LAN aggregation to a 4 and 8 port unmanned switch

You should have 3 ports left. theres 1x wan port and 4x lan ports. One of the lan ports is used to aggregate the wan and lan port for link aggregation. this should leave 3 ports. and yes you can attach unmanaged switches to these other ports without issues. 

That'd be kind of ideal. 

Message 2 of 4
Rwoody
Aspirant

Re: CM1100 to R7960P router using LAN aggregation to a 4 and 8 port unmanned switch

Hey thanks I needed some assurance and my math left much to be desired ... It's funny I did everything but count the router jacks on my hand, haha.  Is there anything you would do different?  Please let me know I'm going to change it over tomorrow as I've already reached my cuss limit just setting it all up already, thank god for WPS!!

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

If you're going CM1100---->R7960----->devices/switches, you'll be fine. Unmanaged switches are pretty set and forget. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7