× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1200 to Rax200 WAN aggregation slows down (requires reboot)

4estOC
Guide

CM1200 to Rax200 WAN aggregation slows down (requires reboot)

I have a CM1200 modem and RAX200 Router with WAN agreggation (2Gig). My internet speeds slow down to 25Mb after approx 24 hours. Rebooting the router fixes the issue for another 24 hours and then the 25Mb speeds are back. I have to reboot my Router* once a day. This is incredibly frustrating!

Also* QoS seems to be disabled-unavailable when using WAN aggregation on my RAX200. (please fix this)

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 119
plemans
Guru

I've heard of issues with the cm1200 link aggregation feature. I can't comment because I don't have one so its all second hand. 

I'd disable the link aggregation for the time being. its nice to have the extra 200mbps but until there's a fix between the ISP and netgear, you might continue to have issues. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/CM1200-slows-down-after-24-48-hours-of-uptime-...

Message 2 of 119
NVRSAWM3CMNG
Tutor

Same problem here. Disable link agg and speeds return to normal with consistency.
It’s apparently going to be an issue until the next firmware upgrade.
Message 3 of 119
branchbiker
Apprentice

I have a RAX80 with the CM1200.  Same issue, it slows down to 30Mbps after sometime and have ot reboot.  In addition when link aggregation is setup, xfinity speed tester reports lower speeds than when it is disabled.

Message 4 of 119
Topology
Virtuoso

I too am seeing a decrease in download speeds when WAN Aggregation is enabled between a RAX120 router (1.0.1.114) and a CM1200 modem (1.02.02) with 1000Mbps service from Xfinity, as measured by the Internet Speed test on the Nighthawk App (2.4.19.1).

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 119
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello,

For those experiencing issues with WAN aggregation and is interested in helping us look into this further, please send me a message. Please provide me with your contact information such as name, email, phone, and contact time along with your serial number. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 6 of 119
plemans
Guru

I've got the RAX200 but not the CM1200 or I'd help out.
Good luck! @Christian_R
Message 7 of 119
branchbiker
Apprentice

I will PM you now.

Message 8 of 119
branchbiker
Apprentice

Case #42302140 was created and escalated to engineering.  I ran a multitude of tests.  Once thing I can't figure out is how to acces the hidden debug logs on the CM1200.  That might gleem some light on why speeds slow down after a few ours.

Another intresting thing to not is that without aggregation, speeds are 930Mbps.  Immediately after setting up LACP, speeds drop to 650Mbps.  Then as everyone notes, speeds can drop to as low as 20Mbsec after 24 hours.

Message 9 of 119
4estOC
Guide

I actually get up to 1,200mbps (xfinity gigabit) with WAN aggregation immediately after reboot. This lasts for a few hours, until it drops to about 25 mbps. I get only 700mbps with a single WAN port . But, if repurposes then 2.5gb lan Port as a wan port, I get around 960mbps and it’s stable. And QoS works too (best option so far)
WAN LAG = 1,200mbps (but decays over 24 hours)
1gig Wan ≈ 700mbps (stable but underperforms)
2.5gig LAN configured as WAN = 960mbps (best option so far)
Message 10 of 119
branchbiker
Apprentice

I don't have a rax200. I have a rax80. For me Wan aggregation means the wan port and LAn1 repurposed as wan2 is connected to the cm1200.

I do have lan 4 and 5 that can be aggregated, but for for lan traffic only.

I don't think I can replicate your setup with the Rax80
Message 11 of 119
sherri1963
Star

Mine did the same, 20-25mbps until I ran speedcheck couple of times... These routers have great internals but without alof of firmware work their going to fail market wise.  I'm contemplating taking this back for the GT-AX11000 right now...

Message 12 of 119
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hey Christian_R

Having the same issues that other people are having with WAN Aggregation with my new Rax120 Ax11 paried with CM1150v modem. After about 15 hours my agregate setup switch drops to 25MBS, normal speed is > 300MBS which my xfinity speed.

Setup I have two other routers that are bridges and about 50 ethernet ports, 5

unmanaged subset etc. I have many wireless devices. I have a large house >7300 sqft

and many computer and devices. Computer Science major with master degree. Many

years of experience debugging devices.

RAX120-100NAS S/N is 5ve3975yf04b4

CM1150V-100NAS S/N is 5fv1987aa05d3

All firm ware is up to date.

- Shelby500GT

I don't know how to sen you my email and phone number, but I would like to help.

available most afternoons.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 13 of 119
Bosko22
Tutor

I have Orbi WiFi 6 router with two satellites, serial number 

My problem is essentially the same as the rest in the thread.  After enabling the modem and router for link aggregation, it works better than ever, but in less than 24 hours the download speeds crash to about 25 Mbps.  The usual rate of over 350 Mbps is restored by just disconecting the cable from the LAN 1 port on the router, waiting 10 seconds, and replacing it!  Then in 6-24 hours it happens again.  My ISP is Xfinity.

Any ideas?

Joe Phillips

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 14 of 119
plemans
Guru

@Bosko22 wrote:

I have Orbi WiFi 6 router with two satellites, serial number 65L1997CA0259

My problem is essentially the same as the rest in the thread.  After enabling the modem and router for link aggregation, it works better than ever, but in less than 24 hours the download speeds crash to about 25 Mbps.  The usual rate of over 350 Mbps is restored by just disconecting the cable from the LAN 1 port on the router, waiting 10 seconds, and replacing it!  Then in 6-24 hours it happens again.  My ISP is Xfinity.

Any ideas?

Joe Phillips

disable link aggregation for the time being? 

Message 15 of 119
Bosko22
Tutor

Yes, that is what I had to do.  But I would naturally prefer to use all the bells and whistles that are supposed to be part of this system.  Am I right in assuming there is no fix but to wait for a firmware upgrade?

Message 16 of 119
Shelby500GT
Aspirant

All -

I have the same issue but with RAX120 AX12 connected to a CM1150V. I

have xfinity blast 300MBS. I have one own cable pedestal (long story), which is on my property and is linked with a RG61 copper cable. I live in a semi-rural area. I have many (5) 8 port subnets about >50 ethernet ports in house. I rewired my house in 2016 to use mostly cat7 which was best at that time. I have two bridge routers to cover my house with WiFi and add some more ethernet ports. Will be running a two cat8 a cables soon from bridge routers to RAX120.

1) I initially set up my new router cable modem using the 1 gb port. Was stable but speed was a little disappointing at 230Mbps. It was slow compared to what I use to get with my linksys router. I use to get 275Mbps with 6 year old linksys 8100, Xfinity up my speed to 300Mbps/DOCSIS 3.1. Hence I decided to try a netgear router/cable modem because I not excited about linksys mesh solutions.

2) Hooked up the WAN Aggregation two wire (Cat7) about two weeks ago to gain more speed. Speed improved to about 270Mbps but after 10 hours or so would drop to 25Mbps in my test. I reboot would always up the speed back to ~270mbs.

3) I just reconfigured my RAX120/CM1150v to use the 1 Gbps ports. Speed has been a little bit better ~370Mbps. I am currently not using the 5Gb ethernet port, I am thinking about to use it to hook one of my subnets too. They Leviton 10/100Mbps subnets.

4) All firmware are up to date.

Any help in getting the WAN Aggregate working?

Shelby500GT

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 17 of 119
4estOC
Guide

A brand new firmware launched today for the RAX200. Doesn't even mention the WAN aggregation issue. But so far it has been giving me 1.2Gb download speeds for the past 4 hours. We'll see if it can survive the 24 hour typical time limit to degrade.

Message 18 of 119
NVRSAWM3CMNG
Tutor

Just updated firmware myself a few minutes ago. Port Agg on and pulling 1.1Gbps.

Its roughtly 3:30 Central time here and I'll repost if I see a drop in speed.

Message 19 of 119
Bosko22
Tutor

For what it's worth I received a firmware upgrade for my Orbi RBR850 (wifi 6) router last night and upgraded.  It is version V3.2.10.11.  Port aggregation was enabled and it downloaded in excess of 350 mbps, but overnight dropped to the usual 24 mbps.  By disabling the port aggregation the normal fast speeds from my Xfinity ISP were restored.  I don't really need port aggregation, but I hate buying something that offers this modality knowing it is not working.  In part it is a selling point of the two Netgear products and should be able to be enabled without this bug.  I could accept it more if I could just get a good explantion for why it is happening, because I am always worrying that there is something else I could do on my end to make it work, and am just not doing it.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 20 of 119
NVRSAWM3CMNG
Tutor

Just an update. 8 hours later and I've noticed the speed caps at 250Mbps instead of 1.1Gbps. No such luck on the firmware helping.

Message 21 of 119
Bosko22
Tutor

Apparently the problem is with the present modem firmware.  There is a separate stream in the Netgear community that explains that an upgrade and fix is (probably) out there, but these upgrades are given to the ISPs (Comcast) to be pushed to your modem.  For reasons not clear, that step hasn't happened.  

Additonally, the concensus now is that if your download speed is less than 1Gbs, there is really no advantage to using WAN aggregation, so it may well be that because typical packages from Xfinity (comcast) are far short of that speed, they are holding back until they more routinely offer faster packages.  Beats me.

Message 22 of 119
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

Yeah I have no issues at the time. Just curios to know if it helps With anything. Thanks though I definitely don’t want to cause any problems.
Message 23 of 119
branchbiker
Apprentice

There is only one advantage of you have less than 1Gb and that is diverse route failover. If one of the two cable fails, wan aggregation also takes care of failover to the other cable. Not very likely to happen, but it is nonetheless an advantage.

I also heard about the problem being on the modem side and that the isps will push it. Isps don't like pushing firmware because 1 they become responsible for things not working and 2, they don't like you using your own modem so they prefer it to be buggy.
Message 24 of 119
kioteh
Guide

Throwing my hat in the ring with the same issue.  Have the cm1200 and RAX200 with port aggregation turned on.  See great speeds for a while, then drops to 25Mbps.  Reboot router and I'm good again for another 24 hours or so.   Replying here so I can hopefully get an update once fixed.

Message 25 of 119
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7