× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1200 to RAX120 WAN aggregation slows down (requires reboot)

sherri1963
Star

Re: CM1200 + Asus RT-AX88U I have WAN aggregation on mine & Q...

Three trips to BestBuy,

RAX200 RAX120

RAX80

The RAX120 was a mistake.  They let me walk in one of the two Best Buy's here swapping the RAX200 & walk out with the RAX120, was in such a hurry didn't check.  Then, went to the only other one in my area & tried the RAX80 just to see if this could be corrected (WAN aggregation) which it didn't.  Speeds fell to what everyone else posted.  My last return on the RAX80, ordered at register offline for the Asus RT-AX88U (AX6000 Asus brand) & it's over 7 weeks, set up & going strong.

I am currently looking for a replacement for the CM1200, since it has ranging issues when trying to renew it's ID.... but between Xfinity's lousy service tech's & life, it's going to be awhile....

Message 51 of 119
DominicanMacPro
Apprentice

Netgear self far behind the interphase the app the security I could've kept Comcast modem for $14 and $40Indeed it was a mistake I bought mines on-line Went to register it, Ha Netgear decided to end the remaining warranty. I normally go to Best Buy favorite store to go to elite member there so I left another net gear product Due to major security holes With the modem issue is still unresolved.. So that's another issue with netgear I brought the rax80  last year during the holidays I believe For a super super cheap price at Walmart with a extended warranty but it's sucked. I got this rax120  over An month ago. And bought the CM 1200 from Best Buy replace one of my modems I had a warranty with it so didn't really pay much out-of-pocket for the cm 1200 I got that because it was multi gig and I was upgrading my Internet service with Xfinity to get better speeds and want to use my own modem. I was extremely disappointed when I hook the RAX 120 up thanking since it's Netgear premium top product it would include Protection such as the amor bitdefender something besides wpa3 since other competitive companies offered this with their premium top-of-the-line product such Asus,TP-Link Netgear self far behind the interphase the app the security I could've kept Comcast modem for $14 and $4 extra bucks for xfi Advantage giving me unlimited data vs me paying an extra 30 bucks to use my equipment and have unlimited. The wan aggregation Was working but I've noticed it's dropping a lot and I was using a cat8.Now since I disable the feature must be so great but to have so much speed and no security I can't use my armored Protection that I already have on my other router with rax120 ,and rax80 I think I'm just going to sell this piece of crap and I'm going with Ubiquiti either the dream machine or dream machine pro most likely better service data products and great customer service and most importantly to me protection they offer intrusion protection and intrusion prevention which I should be able to push throughout one gigabyte speeds or higher with the advance security and enable on the dream machine pro and roughly 850 MB on the dream machine. I'm about ready to get rid of all my stuff with that switches ,routers,extenders,modems and ect on both sides business and the consumer side.. I would definitely say I'll look somewhere else they give you more value for the money you paid NETGEAR doesn't even know if Or when they were bringing protection to the ax products or the new Orbi.. and being nighthawk app it is so basic certain things you can't do from the app but you have to logon to the default address or routerlogin.com, or routerlogin.net Which is not very secure and netgear tell the Consumer in the support article related to the routers we speak of to use the  nighthawk app You cannot branch in that mode you cannot go on to AP mode filter block none of that through the app only on the web interface. Netgear really need to get together with their engineers and redo this whole new lineup over and provide the needed protection and features if they insist we use the app.

Message 52 of 119
NVRSAWM3CMNG
Tutor

So on 4/7 you posted that the setup was a week old.
On 4/17 the setup is 7 weeks going strong.

I’m not saying you’re lying but.....
https://youtu.be/oGUQLrkX4AE
Message 53 of 119
NVRSAWM3CMNG
Tutor

Sherrie. Why don’t you post port AGG screen shots and logs. Along with uptime.
Also modem logs and uptime would be helpful.
Otherwise, everything you keep posting is hogwash.
Message 54 of 119
sharpened
Tutor

Re: CM1200 to Rax200 WAN aggregation slows down (requires reboot)

Same issue here with the RAX200 router and CM1150V modem.  All my Ethernet cables are Cat 6a.

Speeds are 1100 to 1210 Mbps with port aggregation turned on.  The next day, speeds drop to 18 to 23 Mbps.

The good news is the fix is as simple as unplugging and replugging one of the two Ethernet cables from either device.  This leads me to believe it's a data syncing issue or possibly a queue of Ethernet collisions that have not been rectified.  Removing and reconnecting an Ethernet cable resets the connection.

But it is annoying that I have to check my Internet speed and replug in my Ethernet cables each day.  Hopefully this can be fixed soon.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 55 of 119
NuclearDragon
Aspirant

Oof.. This thread does not install confidence. I just bought the CM1200 and RAX200 while updgrading my Xfinity connection to 1gig speed. I also painstakingly installed DUAL cat7 cables around the house to utilize the dual agregration speeds. I will keep let everyone know if I face the same issues.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 56 of 119
sharpened
Tutor

I was on the phone with Netgear support for over two hours earlier this week.  The first hour and 20 minutes, I was on hold.  They had me reset the modem and router and run one speed test after another.  Of course the speeds were decent because I had just reset the router.  But fast forward two days and my speeds dropped from 1200 Mbps to 18 Mbps.

Additionally, my wireless speeds have been horribly inconsistent with this router.  Sometimes they are extremely fast, but other times they are shockingly slow.  Typical speeds with my old Apple AirPort Extreme and iPhone 7 were faster than the RAX200 and my new iPhone SE, which supports Wi-Fi 6.

This router has been a disaster.  Even if I had gotten it for free, it would not have been worth the amount of time I have spent trying to get it to work smoothly.

Current Firmware Version: 1.0.2.8_1.0.45

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 57 of 119
Briankeeling
Aspirant

I would love some help with this. I have WAN aggregation set up but every day i have to re boot. 

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 58 of 119

@Briankeeling wrote:

I would love some help with this.

Try opening a fresh conversation.

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

You could also try the section for your modem.

Cable Modems & Routers

Message 59 of 119
nEo717
Guide

CM1200 to RAX120 WAN aggregation slows down (requires reboot)

Seems lots of us at having the same issue -- I have RAX120 (firmware v1.0.1.122) with CM1200 Modem -- WAN Aggregation works great (up to always near 1200 mbps) for half day to day, and then top download speed goes to 18 mbps -- Reboot the RAX120 and speed goes back up again, only to repeat.

Personally I don't buy the idea that its in Cable Modem firmware -- if that was so, a reboot of the Cable Modem should resolve the issue (and it doesn't) -- tp link Archer C5400X seems to be the only WAN Aggregation Router I can find that doesn't have this issue.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 60 of 119
dayjob
Guide

@nEo717 wrote:

Seems lots of us at having the same issue -- I have RAX120 (firmware v1.0.1.122) with CM1200 Modem -- WAN Aggregation works great (up to always near 1200 mbps) for half day to day, and then top download speed goes to 18 mbps -- Reboot the RAX120 and speed goes back up again, only to repeat.

Personally I don't buy the idea that its in Cable Modem firmware -- if that was so, a reboot of the Cable Modem should resolve the issue (and it doesn't) -- tp link Archer C5400X seems to be the only WAN Aggregation Router I can find that doesn't have this issue.

But a reboot of the modem does work. I can reboot either the modem or the router and it will fix (no need for both). I put my modem on a smart switch and have it power cycle the modem to address this issue (its timer based since I have no way to automate detection of the drop yet). 

Message 61 of 119
sharpened
Tutor

Just a reminder, simply unplugging and replugging in one of the Ethernet cables also fixes the issue.  Still annoying, but slightly faster.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 62 of 119
nEo717
Guide

Reboot of the CM1200 works sometimes I've found, but not always -- Which being LAG related issue, breaking LAG will cause router to re-connect -- Another example, tp link router works with CM1200 (LAG doesn't break), however SB8600 Modem with RAX120 Router, LAG still breaks once or twice each day.

@nEo717 wrote:

-------
But a reboot of the modem does work. I can reboot either the modem or the router and it will fix (no need for both). I put my modem on a smart switch and have it power cycle the modem to address this issue (its timer based since I have no way to automate detection of the drop yet). 

Message 63 of 119
jaxon5911
Aspirant

I am having the same problem.  Is there a work around or a firmware fix?

Thanks

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 64 of 119
nEo717
Guide

Many times fastest is disconnect 1 wan cables from modem to router for 20 seconds or so and plug back in — I’ve been rebooting router when get slow down and that works very time.

I’ve asked support for at least an option to be added in firmware for daily reboot of RAX120.

My guess is that this will not get fixed and that new modems will start coming out with 2.5 and 5.0 gig single wan port vs WAN LAG — based upon all very latest routers from other brands already coming with multi-gig wan ports.
Message 65 of 119
nEo717
Guide

After 11 or 12 days of rebooting router, router wins, I turned WAN LAG off -- Though I didn't but RAX120 for WiFi so going return it and give MikroTiK Routers a try -- Price is excellent and feature set that looks strong with what appears as many happy customers. 

Message 66 of 119
kioteh
Guide

I've now had my setup in place for a little over 3 months.  I've got the RAX200 and CM1200.  The LAN Aggregation slowness is very easy to recreate and I've seen so many people here reporting the same thing.  Is Netgear doing anything at all to work on a fix?  I'm in IT and if our software had such a fundamental flaw we would be working on a patch ASAP to resolve the issue.  Not sure why its taking so long.  I feel like I'm going to soon see that the "fix" is to buy the newest Netgear router and modem combo and this will just be left to be a problem for anyone that bought these in perpituity.  Considering the fact that the LAN aggregation was a big selling point for me and it just flat doesn't work (without a daily reboot) borders on false advertising.

Message 67 of 119

All

Netgear engineer department is terrible. In a recent release their notes said ALL known issues have been fix! Right. Can you believe that? You would of thought they would of stress tested this feature before they release it. You would also think they would of fixed by now. I personally didn't buy rax120 for this feature only I just needed a new router because my old one would need to be rebooted often. Hence it was on its way out. I wanted I router that was good for a large house. I was also hoping the LAN aggregate would give me some extra speed but it didn't.

I should of purchased Asus GT-AX11000 wi-fi 6 but I heard it was buggy.

Message 68 of 119
Bosko22
Tutor

In my heart I believe Netgear will fix this.  Maybe by posting nice things they will prioritize this.

Message 69 of 119

As we all know Netgear could have fixed the issue with a firmware update to the cable modem. I think it is possible that they used the fix that the community has found. The fix is their cable modem will disconnect and connect base a a trigger, which is the same as somebody has found that works. Hence it is the same as disconnecting and connecting! It would surprise me!
Message 70 of 119
Nano_Pico
Guide

Re: SB8200 .to RAX200 WAN aggregation slows down

I'm having the same issue, except I have an SB8200 modem. 

I just purchased the RAX200 and have configured it for link aggregation with the SB8200.  When running properly I achieve download speeds of 1.2 Gigs.  Every 24 hours or so the download speeds go to 3 or 4 Megs.  If I unplug one of the ethernet cables the speed goes back to 950 Megs or so.  I can then plug in the cable I had disconnected and get back to the 1.2 Gig speeds. 

The RAX200 is showing that more than 4 Billion packets have been receiveed in 24 hours but very few packets have been transmitted. 

Message 71 of 119
plemans
Guru

@Nano_Pico wrote:

I'm having the same issue, except I have an SB8200 modem. 

I just purchased the RAX200 and have configured it for link aggregation with the SB8200.  When running properly I achieve download speeds of 1.2 Gigs.  Every 24 hours or so the download speeds go to 3 or 4 Megs.  If I unplug one of the ethernet cables the speed goes back to 950 Megs or so.  I can then plug in the cable I had disconnected and get back to the 1.2 Gig speeds. 

The RAX200 is showing that more than 4 Billion packets have been receiveed in 24 hours but very few packets have been transmitted. 

The issue isn't just with the RAX200. its also with the arris sb8200. I have that some modem and it had issues with link aggregation as well. I was comparing the cm1100 to the sb8200 using both a netgear RAX200 and an  arris AX11000 and the sb8200 wasn't at at stable with link aggregation on either device. 

Message 72 of 119
Nano_Pico
Guide

Interesting. I've read that the CM1200 uses a broadcom chipset as well?   So perhaps that is the culprit?  Have you found any any combination of router and modem that has stable Wan link aggregation? 

Message 73 of 119
nEo717
Guide

@Nano_Pico wrote:

Interesting. I've read that the CM1200 uses a broadcom chipset as well?   So perhaps that is the culprit?  Have you found any any combination of router and modem that has stable Wan link aggregation? 

MikroTik RB4011 Ethernet 10-Port Gigabit Router (RB4011iGS+RM)
https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_rm

WAN LAG works without issue with above router -- Mikrotik are solid products, however designed (use and configuration) differently than the average home-based router.

Message 74 of 119
Nano_Pico
Guide

MikroTik RB4011 Ethernet 10-Port Gigabit Router (RB4011iGS+RM)
https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_rm

WAN LAG works without issue with above router -- Mikrotik are solid products, however designed (use and configuration) differently than the average home-based router.

And that works fine with the SB8200?

Message 75 of 119
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7