× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't access my home network via VPN?

Dboelling
Tutor

Can't access my home network via VPN?

So I bought an RAX45 Nighthawk, so I could access my home network from the Internet. I already have a DDNS service for other devices, so it should have been easy to setup the Router VPN server. However I could not get it to work and called Netgear customer service. The tech told me that even if I got it working, it would only allow me to have access to the router settings and would not give me access to my local network devices. WTH? I thought that was one of the major purposes of the VPN server on the Nighthawk routers! I want to be able to establish a VPN connection to my home network and have access to my home PC, Windows server and printers. So what good is the VPN on the router if it doesn't do this? Is she wrong? Please advise. Thanks!

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
antinode
Guru

> [...] even if I got it working, it would only allow me to have access
> to the router settings and would not give me access to my local network
> devices. [...]

My VPN expertise is nil, but that sounds to me like confusion between
VPN and "Remote Management" (or whatever it's called this week).

Message 2 of 3
Dboelling
Tutor

I also have other issues with this RAX45 router. Anytime a phone or laptop connected via WiFi, it takes between 1 and 4 minutes for the router to decide to give the device Internet access. Unacceptable! This thing is going back to the store today. Back to Linksys products!

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7