× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't check Enable QoS box on RAX80 Web UI

DunePilot
Aspirant

Can't check Enable QoS box on RAX80 Web UI

Setup is 1G xfinity service, Netgear CM1150V modem, Netgear RAX80 Router, Router on 1.0.1.56 Firmware.  

I'm having random 5 second lagspikes/packet loss in games and want to enable QoS.  In the www.routerlogin.net setup I can click on QoS under basic or advanced and look at the page, I can run the speed test, I can select the auto config but I cannot actually turn on QoS, the enable QoS button is available but no amount of clicking will put a checkmark in that box.  The box is not greyed out. 

I have tried with 5 different web browsers, the box is unlocked but cannot be selected in each browser.

Is this a known issue with 1.0.1.56 Firmware and will there be an update soon, should I roll back to 1.0.1.40, is a new firmware coming soon or perhaps is it another issue?    Thanks. 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
DunePilot
Aspirant

Re: Can't check Enable QoS box on RAX80 Web UI

If you aggregate the lines for 2GB then it turns off QoS.  Surely that is not working as intended.  Rolled back the firmware while on the phone with Tech Support after letting them log the issue.  I still couldn't enable QoS after firmware rollback, went back to latest firmware and then factory reset.  Was able to turn QoS on, but aggregating the two ports (WAN aggregation in settings) turns QoS off and makes the QoS button unclickable.   

Message 2 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Hard to say - in general (Netgrar's) QoS does not make any sense on Internet connections with these bandwidth, it will create an impact on the performance. Potentially - and now I'm on a wild guess - the embedded dedicated data stream processor where this QoS is run can't deal with that bandwidth (or it was simply not easy enough to redirect the [most likely again Linux bonding] software aggregation port to it).

Message 3 of 8

Netgear, and just about everyone else, recommends disabling QoS on Internet speeds much faster than 300 Mbps.  That's a bit slower than the original advice, but as you say QoS puts a load on the router, so implementing it seems to be a pointless exercise.

Message 4 of 8
kc6108
Luminary

Same (or similar) issue with QoS and RAX120.

I was helping a buddy with his RAX120 and noticed just the speedtest functionality works. He has a 1000/50 Internet plan. Upload speed showed 53.5 Mbps. The QoS option states it's for upload only. I cannot for the life of me understand why Netgear wouldn't allow QoS to be turned on. This is the perfect scenario for the upload only QoS functionality this router has.

I'm confused and frustrated Man Frustrated

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router, RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@kc6108 wrote:

The QoS option states it's for upload only. I cannot for the life of me understand why Netgear wouldn't allow QoS to be turned on.

If manually setting say 100/50 ... can QoS be enabled? I fear it's disabled intentionally for whatever reasion.

@kc6108 wrote:

This is the perfect scenario for the upload only QoS functionality this router has.

Can't agree more.

Message 6 of 8
kc6108
Luminary

@schumaku wrote:

@kc6108 wrote:

The QoS option states it's for upload only. I cannot for the life of me understand why Netgear wouldn't allow QoS to be turned on.

If manually setting say 100/50 ... can QoS be enabled? I fear it's disabled intentionally for whatever reasion.

Not an option... the upload value field is uneditable... just like the checkbox to enable QoS.

The only way to change the value is run a speed test.

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

True, forgot about this restriction on these devices.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7