× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't connect to RAX20 when setting WPA3

smitch9
Aspirant

Can't connect to RAX20 when setting WPA3

I recently installed an RAX20 and noticed that it had WPA3 security after setting it up with the default WPA2.  When I switched it to WPA3 with the same password as used for WPA2, I could not connect to it from my iPhone or either of my Win10 laptops.  I changed back to WPA2 through remote connection in the app, reconnected, then tried changing to WPA3 again on only 1 SSID and re-entered my password and applied the change.  The result was the same, I could not connect after supplying the password.  I read on a similar post for a different router that some devices may not support WPA3.  I would expect with the last OS updates on my devices that they could connect - that it is not device specific.  Support has been no help.  The first response I received was that WPA2 is the lastest security technology and I should revert back to that (oh my).  When I responded to the contrary it took a week to get the next response which was asking which devices failed to connect and to try typing in a new password.  I don't know why I would need a new password and have not tried that yet because all my devices use the same password currently and I didn't want to change it.  Can anyone provide any useful information on this issue?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Can't connect to RAX20 when setting WPA3

@smitch9 wrote:

I would expect with the last OS updates on my devices that they could connect - that it is not device specific

Your expectations are to high. The wireless adapter (resp. it's chipset) in your device has to support WPA3, and so has the adaper driver.

The iPhone X, iPhone 8 and the iPhones of 11th generation have been proven to support WPA3. On older devices, support cannot be guaranteed, although some of these models can be equipped with iOS 13. For example, the cheaper iPhone SE with iOS 13 still does not support WPA3.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7