× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can we get a stable/working firmware for the rax 120

Liscome98
Guide

Can we get a stable/working firmware for the rax 120

I am running the hot fix firmware currently..... and some of the functions don't work !!!! Along with the nighthawk app that my devices don't show up....

when am I going to have a working netgear rax120 router ????

thanks....

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
Liscome98
Guide

Update !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firmware V1.0.1.108   is out ..... go update !!!!!

I am running it as of 11/26/19 and its working .........

I hope this is a fix for all of us ... I can not find it on line ...but if you get the nighthawk app ...it will find the update ...

Let me know how it works for you ...

Thanks

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 19

All Replies
PigletRider
Apprentice

I have just 1 week left on my 45-day return policy with Best Buy for my RAX120.  In desperation, I purchased a cheap ($89.00) AC router as a replacement as soon as the 5GHz radio degrades on me again.  (It's been 24 hours since the last factory reset, one of many.  So far so good.)  I will then take that $500.00 paper-weight back to Best Buy for a full refund and just stick with the cheap AC router.

I'm hoping that Netgear, over the next week or so, will come out with a firmware update to address these issues.  (I have a full 45 days from now to take the cheap AC router back if the hoped for update for the RAX120 fixes things.)

At this point, I just need my devices connected (and stable) to the Internet at the rated speed provided by my ISP.  Netgear can keep all the fancy bobbles and trinkets.  At this point, I don't care if they work or not.  (I probably will later.)  I just want consistent Internet access for my devices at speed... that's it!  I'll settle.

Message 2 of 19
GabboCH
Apprentice

I would take  it back while you still can...

I've had my RAX80 for more than three months & theres been only 1 firmware update which didnt address any of the issues people are reporting and only change some localisation settings for Asian markets.

And before a firmware update, Netgear have to accept there is really an issue....

Message 3 of 19
GabboCH
Apprentice

I replaced my €350 RAX80 with a €79 Wifi5 extender and have had no problems since.

Clearly all of the reported issues are with the firmware or hardware design of the RAX range but no sign of a fix for even some of the issues after many months.

Message 4 of 19
Liscome98
Guide

Update !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firmware V1.0.1.108   is out ..... go update !!!!!

I am running it as of 11/26/19 and its working .........

I hope this is a fix for all of us ... I can not find it on line ...but if you get the nighthawk app ...it will find the update ...

Let me know how it works for you ...

Thanks

Message 5 of 19
GabboCH
Apprentice

Are you able to view the release notes for the update through the nighthawk app?

Do they document any fixes for the kinds of issues that are being reported?

There was already a firmware update for the RAX80 a few weeks ago but it addressed only some localization issues rather than any of the connection problems people are experiencing.
Message 6 of 19
PigletRider
Apprentice

This is indeed an new firmware update.  The latest Beta version was v1.0.1.100.  This new version is v1.0.1.108, and it appears to work.  I just upgraded to this latest firmware with no issues.  All of my devices connected and, for now, can run at the rated speed (~230Mbps down) provided by my ISP.

As a really nice bonus, the devices now show up in the device list in the Nighthawk app.  Previously I could see my devices via the Web GUI.

So Netgear may (I said MAY) have gotten this right.  Only time (and additional work with the settings) will tell.  I'm sure there are other issues we will grip about.  But I'm hoping that these core fundamental issues have all been addressed.

I was just 2 days away from returning my RAX120 to Best Buy for a full refund.

Message 7 of 19
PigletRider
Apprentice

No release notes via the Nighthawk app from what I can tell.  Strange... You'd think Netgear would make this available so folks can decide whether to upgrade or not.

Message 8 of 19
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The release notes can be found on the product support site. I have linked the release notes for the firmware below. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061433/RAX120-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-108

Christian 

Message 9 of 19
Killhippie
Prodigy

Even on the latest firmware, quality of service is completely useless on the upstream, the idle is high too at about 25ms downstream is always A but there are spikes of 356ms upstream, turn QoS off and you get a A or B is every time and idle goes back down to normal so something is really not right with QoS on this router. 

Message 10 of 19
Killhippie
Prodigy

Once again known port scan and dos attacks have stopped after just over 24 hours. Other logs seem to work fine. This is with router in AC mode for comptabilty testing, and a full factory reset after the update. There has been a lot of port scans in the last few days but having those logs die after such a short time is not gtreat if I am havinf Dos issues. Only way to get it to work is to reboot the router and I'm not doing that every 24-26 hours of there abouts. Also the difference between QoS on and off on a hard wired connection is odd too.. This is hardwired with QoS off: https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/57213332 and hardwired with QoS on: https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/56901687

Has anyone else on .100 and .108 seen the issue with security logs stopping after a short period (if you have those feaures enabled of course.)

Message 11 of 19
GabboCH
Apprentice

I've not got an RAX120 but was logging with the RAX80 to provide files for the support case I have open regarding Wi-Fi connectivity problems.

I found maybe only 50-60% of the log files contained real data. The rest of the time I just download a empty zip file around 1.5mb.

I asked the support why this was happening (web interface not registering correctly the start logging request our perhaps the router soft rebooting).
As usually I got no answer just the request please make some more empty logs..
Message 12 of 19
Killhippie
Prodigy

Sadly I'm not surprised

Message 13 of 19
PigletRider
Apprentice

@PigletRider wrote:

This is indeed an new firmware update.  The latest Beta version was v1.0.1.100.  This new version is v1.0.1.108, and it appears to work.  I just upgraded to this latest firmware with no issues.  All of my devices connected and, for now, can run at the rated speed (~230Mbps down) provided by my ISP.

As a really nice bonus, the devices now show up in the device list in the Nighthawk app.  Previously I could see my devices via the Web GUI.

So Netgear may (I said MAY) have gotten this right.  Only time (and additional work with the settings) will tell.  I'm sure there are other issues we will grip about.  But I'm hoping that these core fundamental issues have all been addressed.

I was just 2 days away from returning my RAX120 to Best Buy for a full refund.

Hmmm.... It's been 2 weeks with no serious issues.  Perhaps this version of the firmware actually fixed something.  (FYI... I never did a factory reset.  I just upgraded via the iOS app.)

So, for those still struggling with issues on the v1.0.1.108 firmware for your RAX120, I'm letting you know it "appears" to be fine for me.  I'm just one data point.  I've also not twiddled any settings.  I did separate my 2GHz and 5GHz SSIDs.  I see no point in using "Smart Connect."

Things may change, drastically, once I decide to configure this router towards my best interests and needs, something I've been hesitant to do since I bought it.  A shame... an A-list top-of-the-line router, and I can't play with any of the sexy features for fear it will stop doing the router basics, like maintaining speed and device connections.

Sigh...

Message 14 of 19
Killhippie
Prodigy

I have most of the features turned on, OFDMA etc and its stable, the only issues I have is QoS destroys upsteam stability and gives a graph that looks like a rotary saw plade on LSD where as with QoS off I get A or B and a nice rising graph with no 346milisecond spikes! This is on both DSL reports and Thinkbroadband. Also after about 26 hours the Known Dos and port scan logs stop but the rest like DHCP lease and router logins work. This is not using the app, as I dont want to use an app and have no need for an app, i always connect my router via Ethernet to my iMac and no way do I want remote management on, I trust Netgears app as much as thier firmware having the latest version of miniupnd not the decalde old one they keep patching in binary on all thier other routers (yes every one of Netgears routers has a ten yeal old pice of code that is potentially dangerous) So I turn UPnP off.

Message 15 of 19
valerio1971
Aspirant

I have the same problem, QoS is unusable with firmware 1.0.1.108

Message 16 of 19

@valerio1971 wrote:

I have the same problem, QoS is unusable with firmware 1.0.1.108

Do you need QoS? How fast is your Internet connection?

Anything above 300 Mbps probably makes it pointless.

Message 17 of 19
valerio1971
Aspirant

My internet connection is 200/20.
But I don't think I need a device feature to expect this to work well.
The activation of the QoS entails an E or F rating in upload, deactivating QoS the rating is C: it works in reverse.

Message 18 of 19
Killhippie
Prodigy

Same here, its like the switch on the GUI is the wrong way around, I get a measly 57Mbps down and 16Mbps up in the UKL on FTTC so ironically QoS turned off is great, bufferbloat scores of A and B, but with QoS on It s A down and F up!

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7