× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot set 160Mhz Band on 5G2 - Also cannot change channel

Cannot set 160Mhz Band on 5G2 - Also cannot change channel

I can't be able to choose 4800 (160Mhz) band for my 5G2, also cannot change channels, always comes back to 44/153 after i 'apply'

There is a procedure that describe i should be able to change it here, but it does not work, choice '4800' is not available:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061423/Does-the-5G-2-WiFi-band-of-my-RAX200-have-160MHz-channel-bandwidth-...

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Cannot set 160Mhz Band on 5G2 - Also cannot change channel

I've got the same router and can put them both in 160hz mode. 

A single channel isn't 160hz, it overlaps over other channels and they need to be all together for full 160hz. 

160hz mode overlaps a lot of channels. 28 channels in fact. Because of this, there are only 2 regions in the 5ghz range that support 160hz wide channels. Channels 36-64 and channels 100-128.

(I'll attach the graph that shows that.)

That's the purpose for the 6e spectrum. It allows up to 7 regions that support 160hz. 

The region your in has the channels blocked/unusable in the zone that supports 160hz. . for the higher 5ghz band (100-128). 

It wouldn't matter which router you bought, because you're in the canandian region, those channels that support 5ghz are blocked because of Canandian broadcast restrictions. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What firmware are you on? 

What area (region) do you live it? 

What region is the router set to? 

Do you live near anywhere with active radar? 

Message 2 of 8

What firmware are you on? 

-> The latest as of today V1.0.3.106_1.0.58

What area (region) do you live it?

-> Canada, Qc

What region is the router set to?

-> Same (unchangeable btw)

Do you live near anywhere with active radar?

-> it's very residential, almost countryside so it would surprise me. No police ever come here, what could be the other sources ?

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

it could be region specific. 160hz wide channels need to use the dfs range of channels and it looks like there's some in the canandian region not usable. 

List of WLAN channels - Wikipedia

Message 4 of 8

according to your link, for canada there are tons of channels available in the 160Mhz band. As a matter of fact, my 5G1 IS set to 160Mhz band. Only my 5G2 that won't set.

I read around on the internet about this particular model of router, i read many routers were returned due to false advertising (on the box) that this second band could be put to 160Mhz as in fact, the firmware never allowed it. 

Is it true ? Or false. We'll see. If it's true this is a 700$ piece of equipment that is going back to the store

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

I've got the same router and can put them both in 160hz mode. 

A single channel isn't 160hz, it overlaps over other channels and they need to be all together for full 160hz. 

160hz mode overlaps a lot of channels. 28 channels in fact. Because of this, there are only 2 regions in the 5ghz range that support 160hz wide channels. Channels 36-64 and channels 100-128.

(I'll attach the graph that shows that.)

That's the purpose for the 6e spectrum. It allows up to 7 regions that support 160hz. 

The region your in has the channels blocked/unusable in the zone that supports 160hz. . for the higher 5ghz band (100-128). 

It wouldn't matter which router you bought, because you're in the canandian region, those channels that support 5ghz are blocked because of Canandian broadcast restrictions. 

Message 6 of 8

Thanxs, your explanation actually makes ton of sense. I am in electronic engineering and i should have figured this out. Just not a wi-fi geek 🙂

Again, thank you
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad it makes sense!

Sorry I didn't go into more details with the first channel list. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7