× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Choosing a link local DNS kills the WAN connection on Nighthawk RAX80

mutant_fruit
Aspirant

Choosing a link local DNS kills the WAN connection on Nighthawk RAX80

My issue is pretty much identical to this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/Set-local-DNS-server/m-p/2199255#M36123

I have a nighthawk RAX80. The relevant configuration details are:

* LAN is set to 192.168.9.x with subnet 255.255.225.0.

* I have a homeassistant setup with static ip 192.168.9.5, and with that IP address reserved in the nighthawk.

* When my laptop connects to the network i get assigned an IP and the nighthawks IP is the DNS and Gateway.

* If I manually change the settings in the laptops wifi adapter to force 192.168.9.5 as the DNS, i can see my traffic flowing through adguard on homeassistant and everything seems great!

* If I go to the nighthawk's "Internet" settings and specify 192.168.9.5 as the DNS resolver instead of ISP defined ones, the WAN connection falls over and I can't access anything. All I can do is reset the DNS back to ISP provided ones (or 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 or 1.1.1.1) and everything works again.

So - is it possible to use a local IP address as the DNS resolver? Is this screwing up the routing or is there something funky with the adguard/nighthawk setup which is causing DNS to break?

The nighthawk *always* sends it's IP as the DNS resolver when fulfilling DHCP requests and then it forwards DNS requests to the chosen DNS so I've been careful to ensure the homeassistant machine is set to use 1.1.1.1 as it's DNS to reduce the likelihood of circular resolves between the nighthawk and 192.168.9.5.

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Choosing a link local DNS kills the WAN connection on Nighthawk RAX80

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

For DNS settings on the router, you don't input the routers IP address here, you always use a WAN side DNS IP addresses here. Not the routers IP address. 

Message 2 of 3
mutant_fruit
Aspirant

Re: Choosing a link local DNS kills the WAN connection on Nighthawk RAX80

The nighthawk has firmware V1.0.5.132_1.0.69. MY ISPs 'router' is in modem mode so the details of it aren't relevant. It's not running DHCP or handling any actual networking.

To be clear, I am not setting the WAN DNS address to the nighthawks IP - I am setting it to the IP address of the home assistant device which is running Adguard. In this scenario the nighthawk is 192.168.9.1 and the home assistant/Adguard device is 192.168.8.5. I want the nighthawk to forward all dns resolve requests to 192.168.9.5, but if I set that IP as the DNS server the WAN connection breaks.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7