× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Configure EAX80 (AX6000) extender and RAX200 (AX11000) router communication for max speed?

BPBrox
Aspirant

Configure EAX80 (AX6000) extender and RAX200 (AX11000) router communication for max speed?

I have a Nighthawk AX11000 WiFi Router (RAX200)and a Nighthawk AX6000 WiFi Mesh Extender (EAX80) 
What is the best way to connect these together to get the best speed between them, and how do I measure the speed?
Today the EAX80 is connected to the 2.4Ghz channel and one of the 5Ghz channels on the RAX200, i.e using two SSID.
I would like to enable the Smart Connect mode on both to have just one SSID, - but will the EAX80 use only one channel in the communication with RAX200,- i.e. loosing total bandwidth, or am I wrong that?
Message 1 of 5

Re: Configure EAX80 (AX6000) extender and RAX200 (AX11000) router communication for max speed?

@BPBrox wrote:
What is the best way to connect these together to get the best speed between them, and how do I measure the speed?

Probably in wireless access point (AP) mode, with one wired to the other.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Configure EAX80 (AX6000) extender and RAX200 (AX11000) router communication for max speed?

What speeds do you pay for? 

Reason I ask is that the RAX and the EAX are both flagship devices that can connect on the 5ghz at 4800mbps link speeds. (you won't connect at that speed unless right next to each other). Its one of the best combinations right now. I'm using a EAX80 and the RAXE500 and can hit 1gig plus speeds over wifi on the EAX but my link speeds are pretty solid because they're fairly close. 

I've got mine setup in a mesh (single ssid/smart connect) and both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz connect without issues. 

Message 3 of 5
BPBrox
Aspirant

It is not a question about the speed out of the house, but between the router and the extender since I will have USB3 disks connected to both.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Then its going to come down to test. Try it in extender mode and try it hardwired in in router mode. 

That's going to be the only real way to know what's better.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7