× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Current RAX120 firmware version

PeteDog
Star

Current RAX120 firmware version

The web site download page shows the current firmware version as 1.0.2.136.  This morning I checked using the phone app, and it shows a version 1.2.0.16 available.  Installed OK but want to verify that this is indeed a valid new version.  Some searching for this 1.2.0.16 version came back as from a different model router from 2018????

I also canot access "https://www.netgear.com" directly.  Keeps saying the page has been moved.  Tried using the IP addres...

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 138
PeteDog
Star

Sorry, that wasn't meant to be a hyperlink in the original post.  What I was trying to say was that I pinged the website address to get the associated IP, and then used that in my browser.  The browser returned that the site was not secure and recommended not accessing it.  Other sub-sites like this support site work OK.

Just concerned that Netgear may have been hacked and bad firmware uploaded - can anyone say Solarwinds.......

Message 2 of 138
PeteDog
Star

Update 2....

Appears the flakey web site issues were due to problems with Quad9 DNS which I use.  That seems to be resolved now.

Still have the original question about the current firmware version for an RAX120....

Thanks

Message 3 of 138
Blazerichmond
Initiate

Got the same thing on mine. Appears it auto updated the firmware overnight Dec 15th-16th to 1.2.0.16. Now the performance is poor. App states it is offline although I have reset everything twice and reset up the router completely. Most devices in the house state there is no internet through the router.
Message 4 of 138
PeteDog
Star

Yeah, I downgraded back to the previous version (listed as current on the download support page).  I did have to manually reconnect some devices each time.

Message 5 of 138
soeun
Apprentice

1.2.0.16 made all my ports on my RAX120 not able to connect to internet. Can only reach internet via WIFI. All my cables are fine. I am now going to attemp to go back to 1.0.2.136.

Message 6 of 138
AVLTechDude
Tutor

Mine says a new firmware version is available, but fails to download it and says "check your Internet connection."  The 1.2.0.16 version is not available for download on the Support page for the RAX120.  They may have realized it causes issues and pulled the update, but the auto firmware check still seems to think there is an update available.  From the reports thus far, I'm glad mine hasn't auto updated.  I'll wait for the next version.

Message 7 of 138
soeun
Apprentice

Reverted back and everything back to normal. Netgear please work on your QA. 

Message 8 of 138
PeteDog
Star

Yes, I have never gotten updates to work through the router website.  I get the same message you got.  Have manually downloaded the update from the Netgear website then uploaded to the router.  The router's website did say there was an update today but would not perform it.

Screenshot 2020-12-16 144717.jpg

The update this morning came through the iOS phone app.  This did do the upgrade.

Message 9 of 138
Kiserai
Tutor

@soeun wrote:

1.2.0.16 made all my ports on my RAX120 not able to connect to internet. Can only reach internet via WIFI. All my cables are fine. I am now going to attemp to go back to 1.0.2.136.

I ran into the same thing this morning, which was a real issue since I'm working from home.  I was able to use my wife's laptop to download the 1.0.2.136 firmware to a USB drive and use my wired-in work computer to roll back the firmware (I was able to connect to the router's web interface via an ethernet cable without any issues, and my devices would say they were connected to the internet but everything I did would time out).  Luckily it only took a few minutes to install the rollback firmware and it was able to use all my old settings so I didn't have to set up my WAN or WIFI connections again.

This seems like a major QA issue - I have certain devices wired into the back of the router because THEY MUST WORK AT ALL TIMES WITHOUT FAIL.  Once I got the firmware rolled back I disabled automatic firmware updates on my RAX120.  With me working from home, I can't run the risk of another garbage firmware update installing itself overnight and preventing me from being able to work the next day.

Message 10 of 138
AVLTechDude
Tutor

@Kiserai The automatic firmware updates function has never worked on mine anyway, but I'm turning it off just in case for the same reason.  I work from home and do not even have the option to go into an office or work elsewhere, so I have to take time off if my connection isn't working.  If Netgear firmware is going to brick my wired connections, there's no way I'll use auto updates, and will keep the prior version firmware downloaded before doing the manual upgrades in the future.  If the QA is this poor, I also can't afford to stay current, which goes against my security sensibilities.  Considering the prior problems with TLS certificates and the recent issues with SolarWinds software updates being compromised, maybe it's time to switch to another vendor's wireless router, and I've been a Netgear fan for many years.  Sad.

Message 11 of 138
PeteDog
Star

I paid too much for this RAX120 to get a new one at this point but echo eveything else you had to say....

Message 12 of 138

Same issue - auto updated overnight to V1.2.0.16 which broke wired connections.  Manually fell back to 1.0.1.128 which fixed everything again.  I've turned off firmware auto-update since the router is still indicating that V1.2.0.16 is an update that needs to be installed.

Message 13 of 138

Correction - fell back to V1.0.2.136

Message 14 of 138
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

@Christian_R  ive linked a moderator so netgear picks this up.

looks like an old firmware for a nighthawk router with a completely different chipset, I'm surprised it installed.

Message 15 of 138
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

It will pay to factory reset after updating back to the current listed firmware just to be nice and safe.

Message 16 of 138
Topology
Virtuoso

What are the release notes for the V1.2.0.16 firmware?

Thank you.

Message 17 of 138
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

It's not listed on the support page as I believe they have issued the wrong firmware.

Message 18 of 138
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello AX Community Users, 

I can confirm that firmware v1.2.0.16 is indeed for the RAX120 and should be available on the support site soon along with the release notes. You may proceed with the update through the GUI or Nighthawk app. 

Thank you for looping me in @Newfiedrool

Christian 

Message 19 of 138
AVLTechDude
Tutor

@Christian_R any comment on the reports from multiple others that installing 1.2.0.16 breaks wired connections?  Is there anything in the release notes about a change required after installation?  I can't afford to install it and break wired connections and be unable to work tomorrow.  Thank you.

Message 20 of 138
avtella
Prodigy

The new firmware on my RAX120 no longer lets me select United States for Wireless and only options are Australia/Europe/Korea/Hong Kong/Singapore.

Message 21 of 138
Kiserai
Tutor

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello AX Community Users, 

I can confirm that firmware v1.2.0.16 is indeed for the RAX120 and should be available on the support site soon along with the release notes. You may proceed with the update through the GUI or Nighthawk app. 

Thank you for looping me in @Newfiedrool

Christian 

Did...did you read the thread?

Unless those release notes indicate that disabling the internet connection to every ethernet port was intentional, you might want to take that firmware update back to the drawing board.

I would highly recommend that anybody reading this avoids v1.2.0.16 like the plague.

Message 22 of 138
avtella
Prodigy

Seems like some clients like my AppleTV 4K seem to have massive latency/jitter on 2.4 GHz when the router has AX enabled, so it looks like there’s some issue with fall back to N mode. Didn’t have this issue with previous firmwares. I alway factory restore after an update so I’m confident it’s a new firmware bug.
Message 23 of 138
soeun
Apprentice

I decided to give it another try since its officially released now. I thought maybe they uploaded the wrong version or something. This stills disable internet connection on every ethernet port. The exact same version as before. Please remove firmware ASAP!

Message 24 of 138
Killhippie
Prodigy

Installed from the website and no issue with Ethernet ports all is working as it should. I never have auto update enabled and always update manually and factory reset after. Maybe download the firmware from the Netgear site and re-install it and do a factory reset.

Message 25 of 138
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7