× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Current RAX120 firmware version

Morse75
Guide

Hello,

the firmware was updated automatically last night and all my devices connected on the 2.4GHz cant connect anymore...

is there something to do except rolling back to an older firmware?

Thx

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 26 of 138
Topology
Virtuoso

The release notes for the V1.2.0.16 firmware are now available:

New Features and Enhancements

Supports IPv6 MAP-E (V6plus) for Japan.

Improves the built-in Speedtest by Ookla.

Security Fixes

Fixes security issues.

Bug Fixes

Fixes the Internet connectivity issue where the traffic meter is enabled.

Fixes some minor issues in the router web interface.

Observations...

1. For individuals experiencing Internet connectivity issues on LAN ports with V1.2.0.16 firmware, do you have traffic meter enabled?

2. The long list of security issues posted by NETGEAR on 15-16 DEC 2020 is notworthy.

3. The firmware ZIP file is identical, for both the RAX120 and the RAX120v2.

Message 27 of 138
robertoselmi
Tutor

Message 28 of 138
robertoselmi
Tutor

The update is happened last night, for the first time automatically.

The router work fine...

But the update is completely unexpected....

Message 29 of 138
Morse75
Guide

For me everything is working fine (wired network, 5GHz wifi, internet access...) except the 2.4GHz wifi, so most of my IoT devices (Wemo plugs, Netatmo camera and temperature sensors, etc) and my old laptop can't connect anymore.

To which version of firmware should I downgrade? 1.0.2.136?

Thx

Message 30 of 138
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Did you perform a reset afterwards? If not I would factory reset and set up as new.

Message 31 of 138
Morse75
Guide

@Newfiedroolok, I will try the reset tonight, now my wife and myself are working from home (thanks to the Covid), so I can't break everything...

Message 32 of 138
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Updated, factory reset and set up as new, pleased to say it's all running fine.

As this is a move from the old QCK SDK to the new SDK it's important to factory reset after this update.

@Christian_R thanks for confirming yesterday this was the firmware.

Message 33 of 138
Kiserai
Tutor

@Newfiedrool wrote:

Updated, factory reset and set up as new, pleased to say it's all running fine.

As this is a move from the old QCK SDK to the new SDK it's important to factory reset after this update.

@Christian_R thanks for confirming yesterday this was the firmware.

If this firmware requires a factory reset it shouldn't have been pushed as an auto update.  With a lot of us working from home due to COVID, it was a real shock to wake up to no internet connection on devices I use for work and I ended up being 45 minutes late for the start of my shift yesterday.  If it had been absolutely no connectivity at all I would have had more time to fix it, but because the wifi was working correctly I had no idea there was an issue until I went to use my wired-in work computer.

When I get a chance I'll try to reinstall and do a full factory reset, but I'm still very unhappy with how all of this went down and the lack of communcation around it.

Message 34 of 138
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

It should have not been pushed, I agree. Not sure how it could have been communicated in such a way to instruct users to manually update and reset though. 

best way is to turn off auto update and check on the support page once a week but many of us will perform a reset after any update. This helps to clear the NVram of old code and Merlin did a thread on Smallnetbuilders explaining why a reset is required.

Of course it's not mandatory but a reset is the preferred way to go.

Message 35 of 138
dcinca
Apprentice

I downloaded the firmware and upgraded it. I did a factory reset and manually setup the router. 

The Latency of 2.4ghz goes up to 1000ms. Tried to do a couple of reboots, no improvement at all.

I downgrade back to V1.0.2.136, though this one usually reboot once every two weeks.

The stablest firmware is V1.0.1.108 so far, but the newest firmware fixs a lot of security problems. 

So, V1.0.2.136 is the best choice at the moment.

Message 36 of 138
Morse75
Guide

@Newfiedroolafter a reset, it works again, all the devices are connected again to the 2.4GHz wifi.

However I have lost the link wit the Netgear Armor: it is offering to activate a trial when I still have 6 months of subscription to go

what should I do? on the Netgear Armor support page, i have found anything related to that

Message 37 of 138
Morse75
Guide

@Newfiedrool  sorry I have forgot to thanks you for the advise 🙂

Message 38 of 138
Morse75
Guide

@Morse75 wrote:

@Newfiedroolafter a reset, it works again, all the devices are connected again to the 2.4GHz wifi.

However I have lost the link wit the Netgear Armor: it is offering to activate a trial when I still have 6 months of subscription to go

what should I do? on the Netgear Armor support page, i have found anything related to that

Apparently I had to be patient as my Netgear Armor subscription is linked to my device again,

So I have no issues anymore. The factory reset was the right solution.

thanks for your help all

Message 39 of 138
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

@Morse75 wrote:

@Newfiedrool  sorry I have forgot to thanks you for the advise 🙂

No probs, good to hear you are up and running again 👍

Message 40 of 138
dcinca
Apprentice

Have you tested the the latency when connected to 2.4ghz?

Message 41 of 138
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

I'm not seeing an issue on 2.4Ghz

Ive run tests including ping plotter and it's fine, can't see an issue. It's not showing spikes my end. 

Message 42 of 138
Topology
Virtuoso

@Newfiedrool, I am curious:  can you please elaborate on your prior comment, “…this {firmware 1.2.0.16} is a move from the old QCK SDK to the new SDK” (message #33)?  What software development kits are you referencing?

Thank you.

Message 43 of 138
Topology
Virtuoso

FYI:  I successfully updated the RAX120 firmware from 1.0.2.136 to 1.2.0.16 – and, it appears that everything is currently working as expected.

To install the update, I simply downloaded the ZIP archive containing the new firmware to my PC desktop, extracted the RAX120-V1.2.0.16.img file, and used the manual "ADVANCED | Administration | Firmware Update | Locate and select the upgrade file on your hard disk" process.

Message 44 of 138
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

It's just an update that's all I can say. Im guessing the new packages now include a bunch of security fixes as maybe the old format was no longer supported.

It was a big update hence a reset was required for this which is solving the issues that were popping up on the thread.

Message 45 of 138
Crtfdgk
Star

I still cannot get any internet access on devices connected via Ethernet after updating to 1.2.0.16 and performing a factory reset. I verified that after downgrading to 1.0.2.138, everything works fine, but I was automatically upgraded again last night and it re-broke my setup, and performing another factory reset still doesn't enable Ethernet connectivity. Has anyone had persisting Ethernet issues after a reset and an upgrade to 1.2.0.16?

Message 46 of 138
AJPatell
Initiate

At first I had the same issues and nothing solved after doing a factory reset.

But I tried again, this time I made sure to upload the new 16 file (downloaded from the support site and unpacked) from a laptop through the web interface... And then doing the ERASE operation from the web interface, which the manual says is the same as factory reset. THAT FINALLY DID THE TRICK.

So maybe try that.

And a big thanks to all who suggested the factory reset fix.
Message 47 of 138
dcinca
Apprentice

I tried again. I found that the new RAX120 firmware V1.2.0.16 is not working with EAX80 in 2.4G.

If I turn off EAX80, the 2.4G works fine.

If I turn on EAX80, the latency of 2.4G will go upto 2000ms. I also notice that the speed between Rax120 and Eax80 dropped to 400Mbps(Usually around 1000Mbps), even in the same room when I did the test. 

I tried both V1.0.1.62 and V1.0.1.64 firmware of Eax80.  All fresh setup, the same problem.

Message 48 of 138
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

@Crtfdgk wrote:

I still cannot get any internet access on devices connected via Ethernet after updating to 1.2.0.16 and performing a factory reset. I verified that after downgrading to 1.0.2.138, everything works fine, but I was automatically upgraded again last night and it re-broke my setup, and performing another factory reset still doesn't enable Ethernet connectivity. Has anyone had persisting Ethernet issues after a reset and an upgrade to 1.2.0.16?

You need to apply the do not update, if not it will still update.

I would go to the support page and download the file from there and install manually.

Reset and test.

Message 49 of 138
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

@dcinca wrote:

I tried again. I found that the new RAX120 firmware V1.2.0.16 is not working with EAX80 in 2.4G.

If I turn off EAX80, the 2.4G works fine.

If I turn on EAX80, the latency of 2.4G will go upto 2000ms. I also notice that the speed between Rax120 and Eax80 dropped to 400Mbps(Usually around 1000Mbps), even in the same room when I did the test. 

I tried both V1.0.1.62 and V1.0.1.64 firmware of Eax80.  All fresh setup, the same problem.

A 2 second latency issue? What bandwidth is the 2.4 set to on the RAX120?

you said you had a 1 second latency issue earlier, was this without using the extender?

Message 50 of 138
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7