× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Current RAX120 firmware version

Killhippie
Prodigy

Please do not assume you know the reason I turn my router off. Its done so all my logs start zeroed from boot which is how I have always done my updates and is a personal thing. Also it clears the cache and you will notice that RAM useage drops after a power down with the power supply removed for about 10 minutes. If this was such a myth why do Sony suggest to do this to clear the cache on Android TV's and the cache on PlayStations!

As far as a pin hole reset I take it you have not read R Merlins report on factory resetting? This person has his own Asus fork on smallnetbuilder and also patches for Asus themselves with many years of doing this behind him, so excuse me if I belive him over you. Here is a link that may be helpful about factory resets.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

As far as the current firmware there has been a change in the QCA SDK I cannot talk anymore about this as I am under a NDA. I have factory reset my router, set it up from scratch and all ports work, I also powered it down as usual to clear the cache and reset all the logs (personal choice on powerdown) The issue with the ports is a known one and a reset or re-downloading the firmware then logging out after updating and resetting should sort the issue out. If it does not please contact Netgear support.

Message 76 of 138
webder
Star

I assumed nothing about you, you've contribute minimally to the thread and certainly nothing since I started reading.

Powering off versus powering off 'for 15 minutes' are two entirely different things and I made no such claim on the former. Powering off and even soft resetting in most cases (where firmware is appropriately configured) will zero logs and perform other beneficial functions, believing powering off for 15 minutes does anything contrary to this is ridiculous and I beg you go claim such to anyone with an electrical engineering degree.

Clearing NVRAM isn't even being discussed and this can be mitigated from within firmware. 

Come on guys, all the rest of us are doing is highlighting a problem with the firmware and even discussing where it may lie. If you don't want to join the discussion that's fine, otherwise your solutions are somewhat rudimentory and non viable to the rest of us.

Message 77 of 138
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Killhippie I believe is pretty clued up and I'm really sorry clearing the NVram is required and that's the same across many manufacturers. I know he beta tested this way back in July 2018 and he just explained it's a known issue and that's all he can say as can I due to Non Disclosure Aggreements. 

clearing the cache is not mandatory but was mentioned in the thread which some do and some don't. 

Have you read the post linked or are you saying Merlin has no idea I'm a bit confused.

If you have an issue maybe a mod may pick up on it and you maybe able to help if they deem it productive but your best action is to contact Netgear support as no one on here knows what internal changes to the SDK took place and if you have an issue only support can lead you to further help.

I would raise a ticket and link to this thread and see what happens but as end users we can't help solve it once you have reset the router and a problem persists. 
We can both go to secure sights via lan connections so we are not suffering the issue you have and we have no way to know what steps you took which leads back to support who will insure you follow the steps to resolve your issue. 

Message 78 of 138
MRGIZBO
Tutor

@webder I agree, we are trying to find a solution and explaining our issues.

@Kilo Do you think is better to create multiple support request instead of getting a global solution from Netgear once is obvious that there is a problem with more than 3 devices?

In this case, the brand should answer.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 79 of 138
Killhippie
Prodigy

This forum has a limit which is basic Netgear testing procedures. We are not here to change OpenGPL or OpenSSL or try and recompile the firmware let alone Netgears own proprietary packages. The issue is not present in my RAX120 or Newfies, this was cured by updating the firmware from Netgears support site and doing a factory reset which was sugested by Engeering as this appears to be a known issue due to QCA SDK changes that I am not privy to.

No one on here can solve your issue beyond the simple steps Netgear provide, you could of course try a TFTP install of the firmware which is as good as an end user can get. Anything beyond what has been discused here is for Netgear support.

If you have not factory reset then I suggest you download the firmware, pinhole reset for 20-30 seconds and set up as new. This is a known method to clear issues on many routers, see Merlins post in the link provided about NVRAM and here is a segmant from that link. Its a basic trouble shooting forum not an engineering forum and so I have given you the only options Netgear can offer as trouble shooting tools.

"Why do I sometime need to do a factory default reset?
In addition to those user-entered settings, there's all those system level settings I previously mentioned. Sometimes, the manufacturer will need to change some of those low-level settings, either to resolve an issue, or to adapt to a newer wireless driver that they started using.

If you fail to do a factory default reset, then your router will still have the old values, and it will keep using them. That can lead to performance issues (especially in changes related to the wireless driver), or flat out odd behaviour (if one of the settings no longer works the same way as before)."
Please read merlins link and I hope you mange to sort out your issues, but the forum is basic and as I said its for Netgear engeering to sort firmware issues out, not us as we can only report bugs. They may ask you to set up debug mode but thats up to whoever is in contact with you at Netgear.

Message 80 of 138
MRGIZBO
Tutor

@Killhippie so, because yours is correct all the issues are not true.

I hope Netgear will contact you for any problem they may have in future as you have the solution.

Message 81 of 138
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

He's not saying that, he's saying it's a limited forum, we can only help so much. 

please contact Netgear support for help as you are having issues we can not resolve here.

We are just going around in circles and nothing we can do will help, hope you can solve your issues with support.

Message 82 of 138
soeun
Apprentice

I would contact netgear support but have to pay for it. If anyone still under warranty please keep me posted if any solutions.
Message 83 of 138
cadmanp
Tutor

I have CenturyLink fiber 1 gig by 1 gig service. Firmware 1.2.0.16 stops all LAN fort traffic and will not provide IPv6 via the wireless connections. Because I have CenturyLink fiber service, I must use a tagged V-LAN configuration. I do not have traffic metered.

Firmware 1.2.0.16 stops all LAN port traffic and will not provide IPv6 via the wireless connections.

I have owned my RAX120 since the initial release via the Premier Membership program which requires a monthly payment and provides no support. The router is the worst I have ever had, and I cannot terminate the agreement with Netgear.

All scenarios below result in no LAN port traffic and no IPv6.

• Tried factory reset the router several times and set it up from scratch, same results.
  • Tried factory reset and restored a working configuration, same results.
  • Downgraded the firmware, from scratch setup and tried upgrade, same results.

Beyond this I have tried a variety of configuration combinations, restored, and downgraded several times then going back to 1.2.0.16. It just does not work.

My conclusion is that the firmware is defective. I do not know what else to say.

Let me know what to try.

Message 84 of 138
Crtfdgk
Star

@cadmanp I have the same CenturyLink 1G service, my PPPoE also requires me to use a tagged VLAN config (201). Can you confirm if you are able to establish non-SSL connections via LAN clients? 

on Linux/macOS command-line: `curl -v http://google.com`

on Windows PowerShell: `iwr -v http://google.com`

Compare those outputs with https://google.com as the URL. I've been experiencing the same issue on all LAN ports after multiple resets.

@soeun @webder Do either of you use a tagged VLAN config for Internet access? 

Message 85 of 138
soeun
Apprentice

I also have centurylink fiber which requires pppoe...
Message 86 of 138
soeun
Apprentice

Yes I use tag Vlan 201 which is required for centurylink.
Message 87 of 138

I'm also on CenturyLink gig fiber using PPPoE and flagging as vlan 201.  Wired connections could get to sites like google but not search when on the latest firmware. 

Message 88 of 138
Redtulips7
Luminary

I have Zero issue with new FW,I always do hard reset after the update.

Message 89 of 138
Sargy450
Aspirant

I had the same issue with ethernet connections not working after automatic upgrade to 1.2.0.16.  I have downgarded to 1.0.1.128 and everything worked again.  Not impressed by Netgear firmware versions.

Message 90 of 138
Crtfdgk
Star

@Sargy450 do you have a tagged VLAN configuration for Internet access? Also, are you able to ping any sites via wired LAN clients?

Message 91 of 138
gear1978
Tutor

It's a bad experience to upgrade my rax120 with the firmware 1.2.0.16 on day one, only couple hours after I opened the box and started to use... it was working perfectly for first couple hours with fw 1.0.2.136, then all wired ports (NAS, desktop) lost internet connection right after the new fw1.2.0.16 installed automatically, reset and setup from scratch doesn't work at all, I have to roll back to fw1.0.2.136 and everything goes back to normal.

For the previous 6 years I was ASUS user until recently I wanted to hook up my NAS by Lan ports aggregation and my PC by 2.5G port. RAX120 seemed to be a good choice but I never expected such experience on day one... the worse thing is still no new firmware released after we discussed here for almost one week.

Was it a wrong decision to buy this router?

Message 92 of 138
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Go to support page, download, update and reset then pop back and let us know how it goes.

Message 93 of 138
gear1978
Tutor

Actually I've tried it. The first reset applied after it installed the new fw automatically, then I downloaded the firmware under support page and installed again, applied another reset and setup, same result.

Message 94 of 138
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

As it's a new router your best bet is to take advantage of free support. 

Message 95 of 138
webder
Star

@Crtfdgk yep tag on VLAN 2 for my connection.

Message 96 of 138
soeun
Apprentice

All the suggestions of doing a hard reset after downloading firmware from netgear do not work. I’ve done multiple resets with no luck.
Message 97 of 138
MRGIZBO
Tutor

@Newfiedrool Only Hardware support for replacement, Netgear does not allow to request for software help once the 'Telephone Support' is finished or without a support service package.

Message 98 of 138
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

@MRGIZBO wrote:

@Newfiedrool Only Hardware support for replacement, Netgear does not allow to request for software help once the 'Telephone Support' is finished or without a support service package.

Then you need to pay for it if you need support as it was clearly stated the length of time free support was available for you when you first setup the router. 90 days free support. 

It might not be what you want but it is what it is and sadly I can't change that or help you any further. Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Message 99 of 138
TrumpKing
Aspirant

My RAX120 didn't reboot continually until a week after I installed new firmware 1.2.0.16. It started to reboot repeatly yesterday evening, so I came here to report this issue.

Here is my case: the new firmware works fine in the first week but get a malfunction (reboot repeatly) then. That means those RAX120 routers which perform normal currently may also encounter functional failure in the future.

Currently, I tried to both software and pinhole reset, both can't help. The only solution is to roll back to firmware 1.0.2.136, and everything works fine then.( it also proves that my RAX120 hardware has no problem)

I hope NETGEAR can release a new firmware soon after Christmas.

Message 100 of 138
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7