× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Current RAX120 firmware version

Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

As been out for a week and as you don't know it will happen again your best bet is to update again, reset and monitor for another week. 
as the process was easy for you to solve there is no harm trying again. 

Message 101 of 138
TrumpKing
Aspirant

I tried to downgrade and upgrade to 1.2.0.16 several times and also pinhole reset. It still can’t work as normal as before, quite weird.
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 102 of 138
AVLTechDude
Tutor

Netgear needs to flush this t*rd, pull it from distribution, and focus on the next version and an effective test plan for it as well.  Wrong time to autobrick a bunch of essential work from home equipment, Netgear.  Move it forward please.

Message 103 of 138
kc6108
Luminary

Everything is working for us, but we have a rather complex setup.

We have Cable Internet. Our modem is a Motorola MB8600. It is connected to the WAN port of the RAX120 (no LAG). The 5-gig port of the RAX120 is connected to our MS510TX (firmware version 6.7.0.50) via a 2.5/5-gig port. Then the two 10-gig ports of the MS510TX are connected to an S3300-28X (firmware version 6.6.4.25) using two 10-gig ports (LACP LAG). We also have an R9000 (in AP mode) connected to the MS510TX switch using the R9000 WAN port. We have dozens of wired devices connected to our network but nothing connected to the back of the R9000 or RAX120 other than the 5-gig port and WAN ports as mentioned above. Therefore, I don’t think we are using any of the problematic ports on the RAX120 as mentioned by others.

Our RAX120 was upgraded via the Nighthawk app (on iPhone) and no factory reset of any kind was performed.

Merry Christmas!
Message 104 of 138
kc6108
Luminary

I forgot to mention that we have dozens of wireless devices connected to our network at any one time.

We also have a Synology NAS connected to the S3300-28X using two Ethernet port (using another LACP LAG).

Ports are being successfully opened using UPnP on the RAX120... dozens of them for the NAS, PCs, MacBooks, Xbox360s, XboxOnes, XboxSeriesX, NintendoSwitch, PS3s, etc.

Hope this helps troubleshoot the issue knowing some setups are working.
Message 105 of 138
kc6108
Luminary

Also forgot to mention I performed the curl commands (http then https) on both my LAN and my WLAN. No errors. All success.
Message 106 of 138
webder
Star

Thanks @kc6108. Interesting and quite the impressive config. I'm utilising LAG on port 1-2 of the RAX120 itself, and a couple of other devices on the other LAN ports, which could indicate bypassing the ports is an effective workaround.

Also, do you have to tag VLAN on your WAN side? Generally you don't for cable connections, and as you mention you're using a MB8600 and bypassing the modem functionality of the RAX120. But this seems to be another common trait among those experiencing issues with the LAN ports, and unfortunately still hasn't been addressed by Netgear.

Message 107 of 138
TrumpKing
Aspirant

Update: I went through the update log again carefully and found that NETGEAR updated the interface of Traffic Meter. I tried to disable the Traffic Meter and clear the data usage history on my RAX120. Everything works perfect then. The main reason I guess should be Traffic Meter interface, the system could crash when accumulated data usage reaches a certain value, and that can explain why my RAX120 didn't get a malfunction until after a period of use.

Message 108 of 138
mfinazzo
Initiate

My router did the same auto update to the new firmware and now it won’t even boot up. How can I convert back to a previous version.
Message 109 of 138
pc74
Aspirant

My Nighthawk RAX120 auto upgraded to 1.2.0.16 a couple of weeks back and that caused my Nest Thermostat with no C Wire to start draining battery.  The thermostat connected to my SSID fine and got an IP, but the battery would drain.  I disabled the wireless and the battery held fine.  I finally found this thread and downgraded my firmware back to 1.0.2.136 and the battery has been holding steady ever since.  My wired connections seem to be fine with the new firmware, but wireless seemed to be slow and causing some devices to keep searching for connection even when it was already connected.

Message 110 of 138
cadmanp
Tutor

Perhaps I was not clear in the original post. The firmware 1.2.0.16 stops all my LAN traffic, stops Google searches, screws up IPv6. I use a V-LAN configuration with CenturyLink Fiber. The prior versions 1.0.2.136 and 1.0.1.136 also created issues with IPv6 configurations, Google searches would not proceed or process, but I could go to the Google page, still could not search. The LAN conncetions have more problems than the wireless.

I have been directed to install 1.2.0.16, told to factory reset the router, the configure it from scratch. Well, in my original posts I did this probably 12 to 15 times and I tried the same with 1.0.1.136 and 1.0.2.136, factory reset then reenter the configuration settings one by one and tested. I tried a factory reset tried and restoring a wokring configuration. None of these scenarios worked. I tried so many configurations, factory resets, and multiple scenarios, probably more than 40 times with 1.0.1.136, 1.0.2.136. and 1.2.0.16 each firmware version is progressivly worse.

What I cannot understand is if I go back to 1.0.1.128 it is fine. If someone can give me a clue what I am doing wrong that would be great. I have probably one of the iniital RAX120's since I did the Premier Membership Subscription.

I am tired of testing NETGEAR's firmware and gave up for now. I am staying with 1.0.1.128, everything works, IPv6 works, the LAN ports work, google searches work.  

I have this Premier Subscription Membership and I cannot get NETGEAR to respond. I do not want a renewal. I have called and opened several cases regarding that too.

Message 111 of 138
Killhippie
Prodigy

I would look to century link and the 120 having an issue possibly with Netgear support as all features you mention function fine on my 120, not that you want to here that I know, I use a ISP called IDNet I am in the UK and use a a VLAN of 101 with no issue whatsoever. Do you by any chance have Bitdefender Armor turned on, I don't and have not used it and it can cause issues, try with that off if it is enabled. If you have done a factory reset and you still have issues contact Netgear Support as this forum is for basic support only.

Message 112 of 138
soeun
Apprentice

I'm in the same boat as @cadmanp . I'm leaving it on the previous firmware for time being until a newer firmware is updated. However, if it takes a very long time for the next firmware or firmware does not fix issue, I am switching to another product. This is getting ridiculous. 

Message 113 of 138
Darkcover13
Tutor

Their latest 1.2.0.16 is very bad.  After upgrading it the internet speed slowed down and WPS not working.  Do not update.  Thank you for the heads up for not spending money if their tech support not going to fix their issues.  Very bad QA process for sure.

Message 114 of 138
Killhippie
Prodigy

Did you do a factory reset? Its important as Qualcomms SDK was updated so factory reset via the pin hole in the back. I have had my 120 up for a few weeks now and not had any of these issues in the UK.

Message 115 of 138
Darkcover13
Tutor

Yes, and re-done all the setup still had issues.

Message 116 of 138
cadmanp
Tutor

I did a factory reset about 30 times, I did clean installs of multiple firmware versions, and tested one after another using from scratch setup. I wasted countless hours. I have acess ASUS GT-AX11000, Actiontec C3000A, Greenwave C4000XG, and they all work fine, they just are not mine. I bought a RAX200, decided not open and the return expired. I also have a EAX80 Extender which never worked with the RAX120 properly.

I tried 1.0.2.136 and 1.0.1.136 both having some issues being slow. Netgear's support is totaly unresponsive and has been since April. I settled back 1.0.1.128.

My router is a very early version becuase I did Netgear Premier Member Program. Big mistake there.

I am going back to ASUS or trying TPLink.

I am selling the RAX200 I bought to replace the RAX120 on eBay as new, the EAX80 as used. Not sure what to do with the RAX120. I don't feel like I can even sell it.

Message 117 of 138
Darkcover13
Tutor

Shouldn't matter if your model is early version, its called no regression tests were done.  This is not how programming works.  You make a product you need to stand behind it.

Message 118 of 138
webder
Star

While I have only experienced ongoing issues with 1.2.0.16 and have now reverted to using 1.0.2.136. I respect that other mileage may vary.

I'm surprised Netgear doesn't monitor or moderate these forums at all. While there have been some helpful community forum members that made valid suggestions regarding pinhole resets, that hasn't resolved the issues for a significant number of us, and here we are weeks on still struggling with them. I have attempted to raise a support case with Netgear, as have others on multiple occasions, which have seemingly gone nowhere.

It's getting hard to defend Netgear now. A simple acknowledgement, 'yes, we're aware and looking into it', is all I'm after and I'm sure would go a long way with many others too. 

Message 119 of 138
Topology
Virtuoso

RE:  “A simple acknowledgement, 'yes, we're aware and looking into it', is all I'm after…”

Yes, indeed.  Readers of this thread may wish to consider casting a ‘vote’ for the idea:  Publish List of “Known Issues”

Message 120 of 138
freez6473285
Aspirant

it is doing some issue also in my website i dont know how to get rid from thisa error looking software can you guys help me about this issue bcz i am in real trouble.

Message 121 of 138
gear1978
Tutor

So... still no new firmware released right?  I'm speechless...

Message 122 of 138
Killhippie
Prodigy

What are you talking about? Firmware isn't pulled out of a magic hat, it takes time to create a new release which can crash your router and ruin an already appalling QoS. Also 1.2.0.16 was released quite recently, which is a mess but still its not exactly old!
Message 123 of 138
Crtfdgk
Star

Has anyone who needs to configure VLAN tagging for their ISP had success with getting wired clients connected on 1.2.0.16? Has anyone been able to contact Netgear about this specific issue? It seems strange that I would need to pay $50 just to report an issue that is specific to an update, and since there’s no acknowledgement we don’t even know if the next update will include a fix.
Message 124 of 138
Crtfdgk
Star

Although it’s still listed in the downloads page, the Nighthawk iOS app has stopped prompting me to install the 1.2.0.16 firmware (as I’m currently still on 1.0.2.136). The firmware update checker web UI has also stopped indicating 1.2.0.16 is available. Can anyone still on an older firmware verify if this is the case for them as well? Makes me wonder if this latest update has been pulled from the auto-update channels.
Message 125 of 138
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7