× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Daylight saving issue RAX70

erlo206
Tutor

Daylight saving issue RAX70

Hi all,

I am in Auckland  New Zealand. My TZ is GMT+12:00 with daylight saving now. I tick "Automatically adjust for daylight saving time". It doesn't apply daylight saving on the RAX70.

I tried both default NG NTP server and public NTP server, such as nz.pool.ntp.org and time.windows.com. However, it doesn't resolve the issue. Roter firmware version is V1.0.5.108. Does anyone have the same issue? 

Thanks,

Eric

Message 1 of 10
mclemens
Guide

Netgear Nighthawk Mesh MR60 wifi 6 - Daylight Savings kicking in too early

Problem: router has been disconnecting/losing connectivity for about a week. I remember incorrect time on my old routers was often the problem and yes my router shows my Eastern USA/Canada time as 1 hour behind actual time. 1 week too early (Daylight Savings is to kick in Sunday Nov. 7, 2021 @2 am).

I tried turning off/on automatic daylight savings time, tried using a different NTP server from default Netgear one etc. But my time remains 1 hour off from actual.

Then I updated my firmware to latest Firmware Version V1.0.6.116_2.0.54 for My Router: Nighthawk MR60

I think my prior version was 1.0.6.102.

None of the above helped.

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

See what happens come this monday morning. 

Message 3 of 10
erlo206
Tutor

I think they know the issue and doesn't have any plan to fix it.

They asked me to get refund. Looks they don't care what customers report, as long as it's not big bugs.

Very bad service and waste my time.

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

So being off by a few days is that important? 

I guess, maybe return it and find something else. 

Message 5 of 10
mclemens
Guide

As in my above post, my internet keeps disconnecting possibly just like it does for people in the other thread https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Daylight-Savings-Time-NTP-DNS-Issues/m-p/2073929.

Seems that DST issue causes the DNS issues, so once a day for a week my internet is disrupted every morning.

I find this issue is important enough when my internet connectivity gets disrupted every time DST changes twice a year, every year, and I have to fiddle with time zone settings as a work around. I've had this disruption last a week, and now that DST actually changed, the router's time and actual current time are synced up. I think we can expect this to recur until a firmware fix comes out.

As for the other alternative that was suggested in this thread, I'm not sure that it's possible to return my router at this time. I'd rather have it fixed and not have to go shopping around for another router, especially since it's not unfair to expect an expensive mesh router to work out of the box.

Message 6 of 10
erlo206
Tutor

Another workaround is you have to change the TZ manually to match your real time. I changed to GMT+13 instead of GMT+12 during daylight saving.  

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

IF this is happening all the time, then It may NOT be anything releated to NTP or time services. You may have other issues. 

Something that maybe with our help might be able to help you narrow it down farther to see if it's a router, FW or something else. Those issues were specific to Orbi systems an not releated to other router lines. That issue was resolved in a FW update for the Orbi 50 series system. 

Message 8 of 10
mclemens
Guide

Thanks erlo206, I changed my timezone as a workaround and it was stable after that, then once real DST date arrived, I switched it back to my normal timezone. No connectivity issues during synced up time (via workaround, and subsequently when DST date arrived as per above).

Also, in some other threads it was mentioned to turn off traffic meter - mine was already off, so couldn't have been that.

I hope a new firmware version is released at some point to fix DST so that it starts and ends at the right date-time. Or if they could add a feature to enter our own date-times for starting/ending DST which I had on an older competitor's router.

My setup:

Firmware Version V1.0.6.116_2.0.54 for  Nighthawk MR60

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Since you have the NH Mesh MR60 system, Please post about this over in the following forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-mesh-system

Also contact NG support and let them know what your seeing and what happen before and after the time change transitioned this past Sunday morning. They won't fix what they don't know about. 

Thank you. 

@mclemens wrote:

Thanks erlo206, I changed my timezone as a workaround and it was stable after that, then once real DST date arrived, I switched it back to my normal timezone. No connectivity issues during synced up time (via workaround, and subsequently when DST date arrived as per above).

Also, in some other threads it was mentioned to turn off traffic meter - mine was already off, so couldn't have been that.

I hope a new firmware version is released at some point to fix DST so that it starts and ends at the right date-time. Or if they could add a feature to enter our own date-times for starting/ending DST which I had on an older competitor's router.

My setup:

Firmware Version V1.0.6.116_2.0.54 for  Nighthawk MR60

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7