× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Denial of Service Attacks

bigSQUISHY76
Aspirant

Denial of Service Attacks - can not log into my online Secure accounts

I have read many of the post here about DOS (Denial of Service) Attacks and NetGear Routers. I understand that many of them may be false positives. I have gone through all of the troubleshooting mentioned in those post and am still unable to find a resolution.

I have had DOS Attack logs for about a month now. I regularly as in Weekly check for updated Drivers/Firmware/software for all of my gear.

My Router has the currely Firmware. I do have the "port Scan and DoS Protection enabled. I have disabled it as part of the troubleshooting and it has not made a difference. I contacted my ISP and unless I upgrade to a Commercial account, which will cost much more and have slower speeds, they say there is nothing they can do. I have completely disconnected my Modem and router for 72 hours and reconnected hoping a Dynamic IP change would help. It did not. I performed deep scans for Virus and Malware. Norton Performed a High level deep scan and found nothing.  I performed a fresh install of windows, Updated and Verified Drivers. 

Still no change. I performed all the troubleshooting with and without Norton Instralled, As well with Windows Defender.

The effects that I see on my network is that I can not log into my online Secure accounts. Anything that uses the Https protocal either takes several minutes, many attempts, or tells me that I need to check my connection or firewall settings. The same goes for any program that requires log in authentification. Such as Blizzard, Steam, Adobe CC. It is the same for all Browsers, Crome, Firefox, Opera, Edge  

I have waited until now to post and see help here because I wanted to do as much troubleshooting on my own before I asked others for their time. Attached is my most recent router log, Unfortunatly is clears every time I reboot and or reset. 

I would be greatful for some guidance. I Appreciate any and all help offered and Thank you in advance!

Very Respectfully,

bigSQUISHY

Running Windows 10 Pro

21H1

I am using the Netgear CM2000 Modem and the Nighthawk RAXE500 Modem as well as the Nighthawk S8000 Network Switch

Message 1 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello bigSQUISHY,

Welcome to the community! Thanks for providing an attachment of your most recent log. To better isolate this issue, we recommend trying to connect your PC to the modem directly and confirm if you're now able to access those sites. This will tell us if the issue is stemming from the modem or the router.

Please also let us know what firmware version your router is currently on and if you have Armor enabled? I have linked the latest firmware version below. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000063808/RAXE500-Firmware-Version-1-0-6-64

Looking forward to your update,

Christian 

Message 2 of 6
bigSQUISHY76
Aspirant

That is the same Version I have. I appreciate you responding. My connection to any secure site or App is still either Denyied or so slow it times out. 

Message 3 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello bigSQUISHY,

Were you able to connect your PC to the modem directly to help isolate the issue? Can you also confirm whether you have NETGEAR Armor enabled or not? 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 4 of 6
bigSQUISHY76
Aspirant

I have NetGear Armor subscription and Enabled, Bit Defender installed and running, Isolated this PC directly to the Modem. I have connectability, however, it is hit or miss. I have tested my ethernet cables they all pass. I made 2 extra Cat 6E they pass and no change. I spent 8 hours trying to figure this out yesterday, will probably spend the entire day today trying.  I Appreciate you taking the time to try and help me! 

Respectfully, 

SQUISH

Message 5 of 6
bigSQUISHY76
Aspirant

Update. was on the phone with my ISP Suddenlink when I made the last post and had them remove and re-provision my modem. I have full connectivity now.  Added in just the router and no connection to Secure sites or apps. Problem is the same. My PC never ran through the switch but I am keeping it out until this is resolved. 

Respectfully,

SQUISH 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7