× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices blocked that have been previously allowed

Alexjccim
Apprentice

Devices blocked that have been previously allowed

Happy 4th of July Everyone!

My RAX120 is blocking devices previously allowed.  I add these devices in LAN Setup too.  Please advise?

-Alex

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
rinthos
Luminary

Re: Devices blocked that have been previously allowed

Can you specify what you mean by blocked? I'll go with a few scenarios below, but any clarification you can provide will be helpful.

For example: There are "Blocked Devices" under the Access Control Section?

This shouldn't be applicable unless you enabled "Block All New Devices from Connecting" and the "Access Control" Feature is enabled...

---So going with this assumption...various devices now have an option where their MAC address can be Randomized.  For example, recent Samsung Galaxy Phones, and even Windows-10 can choose to join WiFi with a different MAC address.  The MAC must stay the same. If the MAC changes and you use this feature, the device will be blocked w/ each new MAC.

There are devices that can get blocked for particular URLs due to Netgear Armor, if that's what you mean? If so, you need to login to the Armor site, click on the notification/event where it states a URL was blocked, and if it should be allowed, choose "Unblock".  This applies to all devices however, not just one.

Another way a device can be blocked is if you have a MAC address reservation for an IP and another device already has that IP address.  In that case, see why you had a conflict, and reboot the router / change the reserved IP if needed, and reboot.  That should do the trick.

Hopefully one of these types of 'blocking' is what you are referring to, but if not, please share more details. Thanks.

Message 2 of 5
Alexjccim
Apprentice

Rinthos,

I appreciate your quick reply.  In response:

@rinthos wrote:

Q1: Can you specify what you mean by blocked? I'll go with a few scenarios below, but any clarification you can provide will be helpful.

A1: Access Control Section blocked.  I have it set to block all new devices.

Q2: ---So going with this assumption...various devices now have an option where their MAC address can be Randomized.  For example, recent Samsung Galaxy Phones, and even Windows-10 can choose to join WiFi with a different MAC address.  The MAC must stay the same. If the MAC changes and you use this feature, the device will be blocked w/ each new MAC.

A2: This isn't the case for me.  All of my MAC addresses are constant.

Q3: There are devices that can get blocked for particular URLs due to Netgear Armor, if that's what you mean? If so, you need to login to the Armor site, click on the notification/event where it states a URL was blocked, and if it should be allowed, choose "Unblock".  This applies to all devices however, not just one.

A3: I don't have Armor enabled.

Q4: Another way a device can be blocked is if you have a MAC address reservation for an IP and another device already has that IP address.  In that case, see why you had a conflict, and reboot the router / change the reserved IP if needed, and reboot.  That should do the trick.

A4: I don't have any conflicts.  My AT&T internet modem and RAX 120 are rebooted every night (30 minutes apart).

Honestly, I am wondering if my nightly reboots are part of the problem.  There were no issues with the R8500 that I had for 5 years.  This RAX120 is a different beast.  Any additional insights would be appreciated.  Thank you!

-Alex

Message 3 of 5
rinthos
Luminary

Hi Alex,

So do the devices actually show up in the "Blocked" list, or they just cannot join/connect to the network?

If showing as joined, do they show in the allowed list as well?  

What do you do that finally allows them to join?

RE: the Reboot, if you're rebooting your modem 'after' the router, I've seen some strange behavior, I'd try rebooting the router after the modem is back and stable for 2-3 minutes and see if it comes back?

I know devices may be denied initially on reboot, but then the allow-table should finally load by the router once it's reboot totally completes, and if your devices then try to reconnect should be successful.

If not, It sounds like either bad fimrware or a poor firmware design/bug...

Message 4 of 5
Alexjccim
Apprentice

Rinthos,

I appreciate your help. In response:

Q1: So do the devices actually show up in the "Blocked" list, or they just cannot join/connect to the network?

A1: yes, They show up on the 'Block" list.

Q2: If showing as joined, do they show in the allowed list as well?  

A2: I don't understand your questions.

Q3: What do you do that finally allows them to join?

A3: I manually allow them through Security>>Access Control.  I also add them through Setup>.Lan Setup

Q4: RE: the Reboot, if you're rebooting your modem 'after' the router, I've seen some strange behavior, I'd try rebooting the router after the modem is back and stable for 2-3 minutes and see if it comes back?

A4: Modem is auto-powered down for 5 minutes at 4AM.   Router is auto-powered down for 5 minutes at 4:15AM

Q5: I know devices may be denied initially on reboot, but then the allow-table should finally load by the router once it's reboot totally completes, and if your devices then try to reconnect should be successful.  If not, It sounds like either bad fimrware or a poor firmware design/bug...

A5: That's what I need to determine.

Please note:

• This occurs for Wired and Wireless.
  • When the the device is indicated as 'Blacked':
    • Sometimes is isn't blocked.
    • Sometimes it's blocked.

I appreciate your continued support.

-Alex

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats