× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Devices won’t connect?

Jayhawkeye3
Tutor

Devices won’t connect?

Hello! Hoping someone can help me out, as I’m definitely not smart when it comes to these types of things.

I recently purchased an AX8 router and installed it in my home, which has U-verse cable and gigabit service.

We set the modem to AP mode and used the smart connect setting to combine the 2.4 and 5 channels.

Since then, several devices wouldn’t connect (blink, Arlo which both use 2.4 only; Vivint security which is 5 only). I turned off the setting so we have both 2.4 and 5 available, and the devices connected but not without issue.

Additionally, all new devices show a wireless connection and full signal, but there is truly no connection (eg online searching or apps show no connection). In fact, my work laptop doesn’t even show my home network as an available network!

Surely I have a setting wrong or there is a firewall issue...or something.

Any ideas?

TIA!
Message 1 of 10
Jayhawkeye3
Tutor

Note even some devices like Vivint (5) and arlo (2.4) disconnect a day or two after connecting just fine. Both of them can’t find WiFi today when they were set up two days ago and worked for 24-48 hours without issue.
Message 2 of 10

@Jayhawkeye3 wrote:

I recently purchased an AX8 router and installed it in my home, which has U-verse cable and gigabit service.

Is that the RAX75 or RAX80? Both are "AX8".

@Jayhawkeye3 wrote:

We set the modem to AP mode and used the smart connect setting to combine the 2.4 and 5 channels.

What is this "modem"?

Modems don't usually have an "AP" mode. That is a way of using a router in a different mode. (You can use some modems as an AP, but then they cease to be modems)

Some wifi devices have a hard time living with 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz on the same SSID. This is down to the people who wrote the routine it takes to connect. They "forgot" to design their kit for the increasingly popular use of "mesh" wifi.

Some people turn off 5 GHz temporarily, connect to the 2.4 GHz and then turn the 5 GHz back on. Or they temporarily use separate SSIDs.

In fact, my work laptop doesn’t even show my home network as an available network!

Do you mean the laptop cannot see the wifi?

If it is a Windows laptop, it may think you are joining a "public" network.

You may need to tell Windows that you are on a "private network".

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status
  • Change Connection Properties
  • Network Profile
  • Private

Message 3 of 10
Jayhawkeye3
Tutor

Yes it’s the AX80.

Sorry, I mean we have the netgear set to AP mode. It’s hard wired to the U-verse router, but we have the WiFi on the U-verse disabled, So the only WiFi signal in the house is coming from the netgear.

The reason I turned both 2.4 and 5 back on is because when I had them combined using the smart WiFi netgear setting, many devices dropped altogether and could not reconnect.

Now when I have both signals available, the arlo can connect to 2.4, the Vivint can connect to 5, etc. however, after a day or so they all drop again.
Message 4 of 10
Jayhawkeye3
Tutor

Also, on my windows laptop, the settings are fine. I’m able to connect to other private WiFi networks with no issues. For my WiFi however, the laptop doesn’t even see it as an option.

Also, our home google is now completely down. Was working just fine yesterday and now can’t connect to the internet.

Essentially what I’m seeing is this router is slowly booting off various devices after I have them set up and working for a few days.
Message 5 of 10
kemcro
Guide

@Jayhawkeye3 wrote:
Also, on my windows laptop, the settings are fine. I’m able to connect to other private WiFi networks with no issues. For my WiFi however, the laptop doesn’t even see it as an option.

Also, our home google is now completely down. Was working just fine yesterday and now can’t connect to the internet.

Essentially what I’m seeing is this router is slowly booting off various devices after I have them set up and working for a few days.

Your experiencing the same issues most of us are having with the RAX80, mine has been collecting dust waiting for a firware update that addresses the connection stability issues  that plagues this device.  If I wasn't beyond the return period I would return it in a heartbeat.  

Message 6 of 10
Jayhawkeye3
Tutor

So this is a known issue? As in a router in AP mode won’t actually connect with various devices?

Does Netgear have a fix?
Message 7 of 10
kemcro
Guide

Make sure you have AX mode turned off, that may help.

If you read though this thread you fill find multiple reports of users having connectivity issues with both wired and wireless devices.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX80-Firmware-V1-0-1-56-1-0-23-ne...

Message 8 of 10
GabboCH
Apprentice

I've not seen anything from Netgear confirming it is an issue or even something they are working on.

However, from my side it is clearly a Netgear problem.

I replaced my existing ISP router (generic Thompson router with AC wifi) with the RAx80.

The original router has combined SSID for 2.4 & 5Ghz plus separate Guest Wifi channels & had no problems with connection or specific devices.

So far I have found only 1 good solution to make it work in a stable way:

- Disable AX functionality (this removes problems with Intel AC wifi devices which need a driver update)

- Disable SmartConnect & create 2 separate SSIDs for 2.4G & 5G.

With AX enabled, I cannot use my work laptop(s) as I cannot update the intel wifi driver (new driver not approved by IT).

With SmartConnect enabled, all kinds of devices seem to fall over deciding which network to connect to.

Apple devices seem most affected but also my Philips Smart TV often drops the connection & then cannot connect at all which seems similar to your problem.

Once I disabled SmartConnect, it worked fine & I've had a stable connection for about a week now....

Fingers crossed for some kind of update but with a household of internet users its a pain trying to change/test things again.

Overall, I'm very dissapointed with the router.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 9 of 10
Jayhawkeye3
Tutor

Thanks for the advice! My wife was so furious, as was I for spending countless hours trying to figure out WTF is going on, so I just sent mine back for a refund today.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7