× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Do you guys hear a fan on your RAX120?

aonavy1
Guide

Do you guys hear a fan on your RAX120?

Ive been having nothing but issues with this router and today noticed I dont hear the fan coming on. Do you guys? Im wondering if this thing is over heating because the fan is not working.

Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

The fan only kicks on when its needed. I've got the RAX200 and the only time I've heard the fan kick on is during bootup. 

There's been a couple people ask this questions and basically the passive cooling covers everything other than the heaviest loads on the router. 

Message 2 of 15
psychopomp123
Luminary

Hi

Like plemans, I have a RAX200 and the only time i hear its fan is when the router boots up. I believe the fan only comes on when the router is under heavy load, so you've probably got nothing to worry about 🙂

Message 3 of 15
Richard1864
Luminary

I’ve had both the RAX 120 and 200, returned them both when the fans failed to operate even when the routers were under heavy load. Both routers shut down under load due to overheating despite being in 68° F environments, and took more than 45 minutes to cool down enough to reboot, which implies even the passive cooling system has major issues.
Message 4 of 15
aonavy1
Guide

When you router shut off, did power all the way down? I just noticed mt 5ghz band would just disapaear and a reboot is needed for it to some back. Almost daily this happens.

Message 5 of 15
Richard1864
Luminary

Yes it powered down completely. Never had the 5 GHz issue though.
Message 6 of 15
avtella
Prodigy

My 5Ghz band also would occasionally fail requiring a restart. It started with the latest .100 firmware. Hasn’t happened in over 2 weeks though, but I did file a complaint with support and provided them with debug logs at the time. They are still working on it. I suggest you do the same.
Message 7 of 15
aonavy1
Guide

You know whats funny, I ordered the extender x6000 and the 5ghz band complete died on that. Reboot and resets it never came back. I replacement coming from amazon.

These routers are really not that great. It’s unfortunate because I need the speed

Message 8 of 15
arjewell23
Star

I found your post searching for fan settings as well.  My fan wasn't turning on at all and my router was very hot.  I think I found the answer after searching for a while.  I posted this on another message as well.  In your browser, type in "ip address/debug.htm".  In the middle of the page is a setting to select "Always enable Fan", check that and click apply. The setting saved for me and my fan is now on.  HOT air is blowing out, finally!

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 9 of 15
Elie973
Aspirant

Hi, i can't find that fan setting, what firmware version are you using ? please

Message 10 of 15
plemans
Guru

When you type the address, replace the ip address with your routers actual address. so if you're default address is 192.168.1.1
then you'd type 192.168.1.1/debug.htm
Message 11 of 15
Elie973
Aspirant

I can acces to the /debug.htm page but there is no button for the fan, i running the V1.0.2.98_1.0.54 firmware

Message 12 of 15
avtella
Prodigy

RAX200 is a different model, NG isn't consistent in settings availaibility unfortunately across models. try this: 192.168.1.1/Thermal_FAN.htm

Message 13 of 15
Elie973
Aspirant

I already tried Thermal_FAN.htm, didn't work to i got a 404 page

Message 14 of 15
robjedi7
Aspirant

Update your RAX120 firmware to Version V1.0.1.128 and you will see "Always enabel Fan" when accessing x.x.x.x/debug.htm

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7