× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DoS Attacks that makes Rtr reboot or interrupts access to the Internet. IPs from 179.x.x.x network.

sh25
Follower

DoS Attacks that makes Rtr reboot or interrupts access to the Internet. IPs from 179.x.x.x network.

DoS Attacks that made Router RAX120v2 reboot or interrupts access to the Internet. IPs from 179.x.x.x network.

How can this be stopped?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have contacted Comcast. A network company that does not know what DoS Attacks are. It is frustrating. 

Sample logs attached. They are still coming to router, but the date and time is not being recorded since Friday, 5/20/22 10am EST. I created another question for the time/date issue. 

I don't have the logs of when it affected access to the internet when I was using it. 

Message 1 of 2

Re: DoS Attacks that makes Rtr reboot or interrupts access to the Internet. IPs from 179.x.x.x netw

@sh25 wrote:

DoS Attacks that made Router RAX120v2 reboot or interrupts access to the Internet. IPs from 179.x.x.x network.

How can this be stopped?

It may not be the Dos Attacks that are causing the problem so much as the process of logging them. This can consume processor power in the router and bring it to its knees.

Netgear's firmware is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

Use Whois.net to see who is behind some of them and you may find that they are from places like Facebook, Google, even your ISP.

Here is a useful tool for that task:

IPNetInfo: Retrieve IP Address Information from WHOIS servers

If these events are slowing down your router, that may be because it is using up processor time as it writes the events to your logs. Anything that uses processor power – event logging, QoS management, traffic metering – may cause slowdowns. Disable logging of DoS attacks and see if that reduces the problem. This does not prevent the router from protecting you from the outside world.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7