× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Drastically reduced wifi performance after reset to factory settings

HenrikBM
Aspirant

Drastically reduced wifi performance after reset to factory settings

Hi,

I've been running a RAX120 at home for my wifi needs without any problems - I usually work from home about 3 meters away from the router, with almost direct line of sight. Last Friday, however, I did a factory reset of my router, and now coverage and speed is awful - I can no longer sustain remote meeting calls, and normal web browsing is intermittently interrupted. Any usggestions on what I can look into to diagnose this, or possible solutions?

My Nighthawk app claims that everything is up to date, and I'm running firmware v 1.0.2.136. My computer is the same as before the reset, a Surface Book 2 running Windows 10 and up to date. When I run the Nighthawk app Speedtest function it results in 98 MBPS up and 94.8 MBPS down. I'm on the 2.4 GHz band on Channel 2 which the app recommends, on the WiFi 4 (802.11n) protocol. When I use the Nighthawk app to check signal strength from my desk I get -48 to -50 dBm. Anything else that I can investigate / test to resolve this?

Thanks!

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Drastically reduced wifi performance after reset to factory settings

When you say you're on the wifi N protocol, what are you talking about? Are you referencing the laptop/computers wireless adapter? 

Also, why are you connecting to 2.4ghz? Its much slower and more sensitive to interference versus 5ghz. 5ghz is much much faster but it just doesn't broadcast as far. But judging from your dbm, you're not that far away. (and from when you said 3m) I'd highly recommend switching to the 5ghz, especially since the surface book 2 supports it. 

Was there a reason you did a factory reset? What prompted you to try this in the first place? 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7