× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EAX 12 redirection to router login and failure in certificate

Tianrong
Tutor

EAX 12 redirection to router login and failure in certificate

I bought a refurbished AX1600 EAX 12 extender and configured it in wireless AP mode. I am able to access internet but from time to time, I am redirected to the web management page. After I log in and go to the same address again, the problem goes away. Particularly when using iPhone, I got “Can’t verify server identity” pop up multiple times a day. It says “m.hotmail.com” cannot be verified. Of course it cannot, because it is redirected to www.routerlogin.net. The certificate is not verified, the common name is www.routerlogin.net, I have turned off the redirection to https feature and I cannot access web management panel through www.routerlogin.net. How do I fix the problem?
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: EAX 12 redirection to router login and failure in certificate

What firmware version are you on? 

Have you tried a simple factory reset and reinstall? Sometimes settings get corrupt and can cause issues. 

Message 2 of 9
Tianrong
Tutor

I did try factory rest after seeing your suggestion multiple times. Resetting seems to at best temporarily fix the problem. Maybe because of the reset, the message doesn't pop up for a day or two and then it comes back. There was a recent firmware update of this model but that doesn't bring any change. So, I would like to return to the forum to see if there is any other solutions I might try out.

Message 3 of 9
Tianrong
Tutor

By the way, I want to highlight this, the url to access the web management panel of the extender should be mywifiext while routerlogin is supposed to be used for Netgear routers. My router happens to be a Netgear device too but it's running DD-WRT instead of the original firmware. Would that cause any problem? The only way the extender can detect that the router is Netgear is based on MAC address. If that is the problem, will changing the MAC address of the LAN port be helpful?

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

leave the mac address. 

And you're right in that accessing extenders is either using the mywifiext . net or using its ip address. 

What modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

What router do you have installed? 

Usually we see the issue you're having when there's double nat/configuration issues from the router/gateway. 

Message 5 of 9
Tianrong
Tutor

The modem is a TPLink TC7610, the router is a Netgear R8000 with DD-WRT firmware, the extender is a Netgear EAX12 configured in AP mode.

Message 6 of 9
Tianrong
Tutor

Plus, there is a network switch between the extender and the router but it's a simple switch without management feature, which I guess won't be a problem?

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

If you take the switch out (for testing) does it stay working? 

Message 8 of 9
Tianrong
Tutor

I will try. I need the switch more than the extender though. Since the problem doesn't happen all the time, I guess I will get back in a day or two to make sure.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7