× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extender compatability

Wheaton
Tutor

Extender compatability

I have a NETGEAR Wi-Fi Range Extender EX2700 that I would like to connect to my primary Wifi Route. I have a Cat6 cable to the basement that I can use to hard wire the extender. When I do that and configure the extender it knocks out the WiFi at the source. Are these two devices not compatible? or am I just not configuring them correctly.

Thanks

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Extender compatability

when you hardwire in an extender, you have to install it in access point mode. The ex2700 doesn't have an access point mode. Its literally the most base model device. 

So it can't be hardwired into a router.

Sorry. 

Message 2 of 8
Wheaton
Tutor

Thank you for your response. I'm confused as to why the EX2700 have a network cable port if it can't be set up as an access point? 

Also, if this extender can't be user, what extender would you recommend with my WiFi Router?

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Its used to connect pc/laptops/other wired devices to it.

What are you looking for in an extender? 

Single band?

Dual band/triband? 

What speeds are you wanting/expecting? 

You can view through netgears line of extenders and sort by features you're wanting. 

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/range-extenders/

I do warn people that single/dual band extenders do drop throughput 50% (for devices using the extender) because they have to use the same chip to go router----->extender  and then extender----->devices.  And they can't do both at once. 

Message 4 of 8
Wheaton
Tutor

I think Dual band, as for speed I was hoping to have at least 50MBPS. Is there a model you would recommend?

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

If you have the D7000, I'd look at something like an AC1900 extender. 

amazon's got a renewed EX6400 (ac1900) for pretty cheap right now. 

It could be used as an extender or as an access point. 

I've used one and its a pretty solid extender for what you're trying to do. 

Message 6 of 8
Wheaton
Tutor

One more question, does the EX6400 allow me to connect the Ethernet cable from the WiFI router directly into the device? I dont see that in the information, but I have a Cat6 cable going down to the basement from the router. I would think this would be a better connection.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Yes you can.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements