× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extending a wireless network based on Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 to other buildin

Extending a wireless network based on Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 to other buildings

How do I extend a wireless network based on Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 to other buildings where a wifi signal is not available.  I have CAT6 cables to the buildings from the base station.  What device would be best to provide a cabled extension to the network and how ould I set it up?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

Re: Extending a wireless network based on Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 to other buildin

Thank you - you are right.  Many thanks for sharing your view.  

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Hi Patrick

have a look here at NETGEAR's extender range.

https://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/default.aspx

I have 2 of the ex8000 extenders (X6S) and they work fine on my RAX120 and they also now do Wi-fi 6 extenders but I don't know much about them to be honest as well as the rest of the range. All I can say is I'm happy with my extenders and they work well.

Message 2 of 9

Thank you for your help on this.  Are your extenders connected to the router with network cable as a normal WiFi repeater will not work in my situation as no WiFi signal penetrates the second building (but I do have cable)!

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 9
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Mine are through a wireless connection but they also offer AP mode too so can be wired.

i guess it depends on what you want as extenders differ in spec and price so it's best to check AP is possible and what you require. 
if I were to wire mine I would gain an extra 5ghz channel not that I require that as it's triband.

Message 4 of 9

Thank you for your insights.  Would value input from someone with experience of using the AX12 with wired extenders and which models are designed to be used with the AX 12.  I am replacing a system of 3 Apple Airport Extremes and 3 Apple Airport Express devices.  All are wired back to one of the Airport Extremes some via a switch.  We have a 300 year old rambling property with several buildings with stone walls up to 18 inches thick (50cm).  Thanks in advance for any help,

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 5 of 9

Recommendation from NETGEAR Customer service via Chat is to use Nighthawk WiFi 6 Mesh Range extender (EAX80) on the end of a cabled extension.  Alows smart roaming.

Message 6 of 9
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

The Ex8000 I use allows smart roaming too. Don't forget I'm using an AX12 unit too but here's the thing do you need ax or ac at the moment and do you want to buy the latest tech but maybe find it's not fully needed.

its really down to you all I'll add is I'm really happy with my extenders, super performance and no hassle. 

Message 7 of 9

Thank you - you are right.  Many thanks for sharing your view.  

Message 8 of 9
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Let us know what you get, alway nice to see how it pans out. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7