× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extortion?

Cockney
Apprentice

Extortion?

So I have a 12 month warranty on my Router. I call to invoke that warranty and they tell me I have to take out a support contract so they can check the hardware. Extortion?

Why should I have to pay to get Netgear to honor their warranty?

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Extortion?

Reason why is the majority of the time its a settings/firmware issue and not a hardware failure. You do have a 12 months (24 in some markets) hardware warranty. 
if you check with support, usually (i've never needed it so haven't went through it personally) if you take a support contract and its determined to be hardware failure, they refund you for the support. but if its a settings/firmware issue, then its not hardware failure and you're liable for it. its worth checking before buying if they do refund it if its determined to be hardware failure. 

what you can do? Try using these forums for help. we're pretty good at getting things working and if we can't, it just reinforces that its a hardware issue. 

Waht issue are you having in detail?

What firmware is on the router? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to. 

Message 2 of 7
Cockney
Apprentice

Waht issue are you having in detail?  My RAX 120 randomly reboots every few days.  Normally just as I access it through wifi.

What firmware is on the router?  The latest:  V1.0.2.136

What modem/gateway is it connected to. It's conected to a Calix GigaSpire GS2020 supplied by the ISP.  The RAX120 is on their DMZ.

I also notice that the hardware is now on version V2.  Pretty quick update within 12 months I think.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

has the RAX120 always been having this issue? 

When did it start? 

A couple things you can try.

1. the RAX devices were released before the AX spec was even finalized (might be the cause of v2). Because of this and the changes to the spec, they've responded favorably to factory reset after firmware updates/changes. Have you tried a simple factory reset? Try the factory reset and then do a clean install (not from a backup configuration). I'd also recommend firmware changes be done over a hardwired connection. (not wireless or using the app)

2. It could be a firmware issue. If the factory reset doesn't help, try downgrading the firmware a version. maybe the one you're on introducted an issue. Downgrade and then disable auto-updates. I'd still recommend the factory reset/clean install since you're changing firmware. 

3. Maybe the Calix has issues with the dmz (it shouldn't cause a reboot but its worth a shot). Try simply running the RAX in access point mode. If the calix has its own routering functions and they're not disabled, see how it runs in AP mode. 

Message 4 of 7
Cockney
Apprentice

Well, I can say with some certainty that the router is reconnecting every 12 hours exactly.  Reboots are about every 4 days. At first I thought it might be the ISP.  However the reconnect times are exactly every 12 hours after the last reboot.

[Internet connected] IP address: XXX, Saturday, December 12, 2020 09:20:31

[Internet connected] IP address: XXX, Friday, December 11, 2020 21:20:31

[Internet connected] IP address: XXX, Friday, December 11, 2020 09:20:32

[Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.2.136] Thursday, December 10, 2020 09:20:28

[Internet connected] IP address: XXX, Monday, December 07, 2020 00:38:11

[Internet connected] IP address: XXX, Sunday, December 06, 2020 12:38:10

[Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.2.136] Sunday, December 06, 2020 12:38:10

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 7
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Is this set up as a PPPoE connection?

Message 6 of 7
Cockney
Apprentice