× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Faster speeds on RAX50 app than on devices

Bemo
Tutor

Faster speeds on RAX50 app than on devices

I have a Nighthawk RAX50 and have the 1GB speeds through Cox. I'm getting those speeds through the netgear app but not on any of my devices, wired or wireless. I've tried testing on numerous different devices but all have the same result: between 100 and 150. What is causing this? Forgive my lack of knowledge if I left any important info out.

Message 1 of 7
Bemo
Tutor

Re: Faster speeds on RAX50 app than on devices

I should add a couple things..

I've tried changing the 5GHz channel but not really sure which one is best.

Modem is an Arris SB8200.

Firmware update is V1.0.2.64_2.0.41

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

What speeds do you get directly connected to the modem? 

make sure to disable qos, traffic monitoring, parental controls. 

If you haven't, try a simple factory reset and reinstall with leaving most settings default.

Are you using ipv6? 

And then make sure to speedtest over a hardwired connection. many things impact wireless speeds. 

Message 3 of 7
Bemo
Tutor

I am getting the correct speeds now. Roughly 700 download on both the app and devices. Finally!

I am not using IPV6. 

The issue I'm running into now is experiencing packet loss during online gaming and what I can assume is leading to issues with video chatting or conference calls. Is this something that can be fixed within the router's settings?

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

Are you getting the packett loss over wifi or wired? 

Does it happen if you're hardwired into the modem? 

Message 5 of 7
Bemo
Tutor

It happens when I'm hardwired in. I have not tried connecting directly to the modem. I don't have a ethernet cable that long. It would need to be 150+ feet

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

If the device with packet loss is hardwired in, there's a wire already running to it. simply disconnect it from the router, run it to the modem, reboot the modem and try it. 

If there's a switch there, take it out. 

You're trying to eliminate things that could be causing the packet loss to isolate where its coming from. it if happens while directly connected, the router wasn't the issue. Its either the modem or the line. If you add a switch back in and suddenly you have the packet loss again, its the swtiching, etc. 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7