× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware updating RAX35

Firmware updating RAX35

RAX35 R7850 R9000 & other

I see that backing up configuration before updating might be invaluable. Sadly I am learning.

Why have some firmware been eliminated?

When doing a firmware update, is it advisable to do a factory reset?

Should it be done prior to the update or after?

It would surely be preferable to not need a factory reset and just hope everything works, but I've seen quite a few posts where issures developed post update and very frequently the main suggestion is "do a factory reset". Better still might be the ability to download the firmware that was installed originally, especially if it seemed to work out of the box and the terribly short support/warranty period.

Multiple Netgear devices now owned. I have had Belkin, Cisco, and some others over the years. The worst product in networking was the Google Hub. Very limited configuration and dropouts. I just did not trust. One name stands above all others because every box I got would work initially and then like many here you are left floundering wasting days instead of getting work done.

Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

Re: Firmware updating RAX35

Backup your settings just in case. Factory reset is only needed if something that previously worked no longer works as intended and you can't make it work no matter the fiddling. A factory reset should be done *after* updating the firmware and then configuring from scratch. Do not use backup config file as this may introduce old values that may be the cause of the problem

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Moose-Squirrel wrote:

RAX35 R7850 R9000 & other

I see that backing up configuration before updating might be invaluable. Sadly I am learning.

Why have some firmware been eliminated?

When doing a firmware update, is it advisable to do a factory reset?

Should it be done prior to the update or after?

It would surely be preferable to not need a factory reset and just hope everything works, but I've seen quite a few posts where issures developed post update and very frequently the main suggestion is "do a factory reset". Better still might be the ability to download the firmware that was installed originally, especially if it seemed to work out of the box and the terribly short support/warranty period.

Multiple Netgear devices now owned. I have had Belkin, Cisco, and some others over the years. The worst product in networking was the Google Hub. Very limited configuration and dropouts. I just did not trust. One name stands above all others because every box I got would work initially and then like many here you are left floundering wasting days instead of getting work done.

Message 3 of 4

Not using the previous saved config would not apply if that version was working, or least better than the update. lol

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7