× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fixed WiFi signal from Ferrett camera to mesh?

RBuster
Aspirant

Fixed WiFi signal from Ferrett camera to mesh?

I have a Ferrett camera which puts out a fixed Wifi signal.  The signal is line of site and the range is 20 feet.  Can it be connected to any of the Netgear extenders?  My application is abnormal.  I will be converting to DC (battery) power and installing into an RC tractor for under home inspections.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Fixed WiFi signal from Ferrett camera to mesh?

Is there a reason you don't think it can connect?

Message 2 of 7
RBuster
Aspirant

Knowing NOTHING about Wifi connections, Ferrett's extender fix is a memory stick type of device which extends the distance to double if it can be placed in the center of the camera and phone.  It also is limited to line of site - which is a problem for me. 

It seems logical to me that they would design an extender which would be stronger and not rely on line of site. - which leads me to question if the technology allows the "fixed" system to be extended with the mesh.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

You might be better to ask on the Cable ferret's forum or customer service on ways to expand their setup

Message 4 of 7
antinode
Guru

> I have a Ferrett camera [...]

Thanks for that detailed description.  Has it a model number?
Documentation of any kind?

"Ferret"?  https://ferrettools.com/ ?

> [...] which puts out a fixed Wifi signal. [...]

I don't know what that means.

> [...] The signal is line of [sight] and the range is 20 feet. [...]

Says who?

> [...] Can it be connected to any of the Netgear extenders? [...]

Generally, Wi-Fi is Wi-Fi, give or take a radio band.

To what is it normally connected?

> [...] placed in the center of the camera and phone. [...]

If the camera provides its own hot-spot, to which you connect your
mobile device, then you might be able to connect any reasonable extender
to the (unspecified) camera's network, but, without any actual
experience, I don't know how useful that would be if the
camera-to-extender range is the limiting parameter.

> [...] Ferrett's extender fix [...]

"extender fix"?  Thanks for that detailed description.  Has it a
model number?  Documentation of any kind?

> It seems logical to me [...]

You seem to be arguing with the wrong people.

> [...] which leads me to question if the technology allows the "fixed"
> system to be extended with the mesh.

Not knowing what "fixed" means here makes it tough (for me) to say
much of value.

Message 5 of 7
Razor512
Prodigy

If it is one of their inspection cameras where the camera essentially creates a WiFi network and your phone connects to the network, then your options are limited and it will all depend on how you want to use it.

If you want to use the inspection camera as normal with the app on your phone, but want a massive boost in range, then you can use a netgear extender with it.

For example, I have connected an EX8000 to a wireless borescope a few years ago, mainly because I needed to run a drain snake through a line in my house where they used a T connector where you need a drophead for the snake to go down. It takes a number of attempts, and the only way to look, was to access a line downstairs and run the snake cam up to the outlet of the T connector.

Anyway, as long as it shows up as an access point, then an extender can connect to it.

=======Not recommended==========

On the other hand, if you need to integrate it to your main network, then your best bet would be A wifi router set to a wireless bridge mode, that connects to the inspection camera and then via a LAN to LAN connection, connects to the main network.

If the IP ranges are the same, and the static IP of the camera does not conflict with anything else, though that will be unreliable since you will effectively have 2 DHCP servers on the same network.

Message 6 of 7

To add to the helpful explanation from @Razor512 I will throw in some experience from Arlo cameras. They have recently changed things so that devices can connect to local wifi with no need for a separate hub that plugs into a router.

A lot depends on what you mean by this:

Can it be connected to any of the Netgear extenders?

If Ferrett lets you connect cameras to an SSID, then it will work with any wifi source. In that case, as @plemans says, your best bet is to ask the Ferret experts. It isn't a Netgear specific issue.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7