× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: For routers with a single 2.5gig port (mine is RAXE500) and a 2.5 modem, how to connect 10gig PC

Xyclopx
Aspirant

For routers with a single 2.5gig port (mine is RAXE500) and a 2.5 modem, how to connect 10gig PC

Hi,

I have a RAXE500 Nighthawk router, and it has a single high-speed 2.5gig? ethernet port.  I also have a Nighthawk CM2000 modem, that has a 2.5gig ethernet port.  I would like to connect this all to a high-speed ethernet network, (my PC has 10gig ports).

The problem here is the router only has 1 capable port, which doesn't leave another port to connect to the network unless if I use one of the 4 1gig ports.

Can I connect a 10gig switch to that high speed port on the router, and connect the modem to the switch?  Will the router detect the modem and do its routing job correctly?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: For routers with a single 2.5gig port (mine is RAXE500) and a 2.5 modem, how to connect 10gig PC

No you can't use the 2.5gig port for the switch and the modem. 

Reason why is the majority of isp's (not all) only issue 1 public ip address. If your modem has something other than the router connected, it can issue that ip address to the other device. And so only that device will get online. The router is what is supposed to take the public ip address and issue private ip addresses to the devices on the network. (its a bit more complicated but thats simplifying it.)

I ran into that same issue when I went with my CM2000->RAXE500.

What I ended up doing (not anymore) was going with a CAX80----->2.5gig--->switch---->router/devices

But thats getting a bit expensive. 

Message 2 of 4
Xyclopx
Aspirant

Thanks.  Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but this kinda feels like a major failing of this router (and basically most other consumer models with high-speed ethernet).  It appears then that even if you have a modem/connection capable of 2.5Gbps you cannot actually get that speed from a PC on the network since it's missing a 2nd port.

Or, if you choose to use the 2.5Gbps port to connect to the LAN, then it's a bit pointless because you'd then be bottlenecked by the 1Gbps connection to the modem.

Why do they design it like this?  It seems to me anyone buying a router with 2.5Gbps capability would want 2 ports at least.  Even if it had to cost a couple $100 more, it's totally worth it for that alone.

It sounds like the best I can do is do port aggregation for the modem, and connect to 2 1Gbps ports on the router, and connect to the LAN via the 2.5Gbps port?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I wouldn't call it a major failing as they all advertise what  ports that have on them. 

Its just that multigig ports are much more expensive. Plus most device won't saturate gigabit speeds for the most part. Even streaming 4k only takes 25-40mbps. So unless you're moving massive data, most consumer devices don't need multigig speeds. Its why you'll see multigig stressed more on the business devices but not the consumer devices. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7