× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Getting the most out of WiFi 6

carnalimr
Aspirant

Getting the most out of WiFi 6

Hello,

So I've had the Nighthawk AX4: RAX40 for a while now. I finally added a WiFi 6 card to my desktop that's about 30 feet away from my router. I am getting about additional 100mbpsDL and 50mbps upload but I am on a 1gbps fiber connection. I get about 400mbps up and 300mbps down. I am curious what settings I should tweak to try and squeeze as much out of it as possible. 

Right now my 2.4ghz and 5ghz channel are named different SSID's should they become one? Would that help? 

• QOS is off
  • Enabling 20/40mhz coexistence is off 
  • Both frequencies are on short-preamble 
  • IPV6 is on DHCP 
  • Router is on the most recent firmware 
  • WMM is on

Is there anything you all can suggest or from the WiFi 6 card is: fenvi PCIe WiFi Adapter Card WiFi 6 AX200 PCIe Wi-Fi 6 802.11ax Card with the latest drivers.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Getting the most out of WiFi 6

Hello carnalimr, 

Can you confirm whether your desktop is hardwired to your router? If it's wireless, can you confirm whether its connecting to the 2.4 or 5GHz band. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
carnalimr
Aspirant

It is not hardwired. It is also on the 5ghz band. 

Message 3 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi carnalimr, 

Thanks for confirming. May you try changing the channel on the 5GHz band to see if there are any improvements. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7