× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Giving up on the RAX120

LeeH
Prodigy

Giving up on the RAX120

OK  So I bought the RAX120 which I consider the Maserati of routers expecting to achieve 2 Gbs throughput.  I buy the 2 year support contract and I have about 10 years of experience with wireless routers and over 30 years of professional experience on computers.  I plan on connecting a 10Gbs NAS to the 5Gbs port through a switch to use the performnce of the router.

I am getting ~700 Mbs throughput through the 5 Ghz band using AX with both Intel and Killer AX cards.  So I call Netgear because I'm not getting the 940 Mbs that I have from the ISP.  We try everything 3 times with 3 different techs.  They send me a replacement router and try everything 3 times again.  But nothing can get me above the ~700 Mbs.  I also am having troble using the 5 Gbps port running down stairs to my central Netgear switch that has two 10 Gbps ports and eight 1 Gbps ports.  The router cannot sustain a 940 Mbps throughput with a 5 Gbps link to the switch but has no problems when using one of the 1 Gbps ports on the router.

I then load the latest Router Firmware Version V1.0.1.122.  Now I am getting ~400 Mbps using AX.  Even after all the work with Netgear the problem is getting worse.  I expected this problem to go to the programmers  so they can work on the firmware and get it fixed.  Nope, after three months the ticket just gets closed instead.

I guess I will shelve this expensive router that only gives me Chevy Spark performance.  It seems to me that there is a problem in the code that causes the 2.4 Gbps link to decrease the link speed to less than 900 Mbps when loaded.  The link is just fine when the system is running idle but drastically decreases link speed when it is used.

The only reason that anyone would spend so much for a router is to get the AX speed.

The program manger seems to be focused on adding new features instead of fixing the speed issue.  It's like adding a new stereo to the Chevi Spark instead of giving us the spped of the Maserati we paid for.  The speed increase of AX is the ONLY reason that any sane person would buy this router.  At this rate it is destined to be dropped for  lack of sales. 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
avtella
Prodigy

Sounds like a terrible experience.. especially with 2 units. I'm not sure what differences are there between our setups but I'm not having this particular issue with declining speeds, i'm getting around 1,150 Mbps on speed tests (My ISP overprovisions gig profile), on laptops that I upgraded with the Intel AX200 w/HT160 enabled. On LAN speed tests to my NAS im getting 1,300-1,400 Mbps on the same laptops.

What settings are changed from default? Also is the router in an area of good ventilation especially at the bottom, these things seem to get pretty hot. 

Message 2 of 3
LeeH
Prodigy

Yep tried everything at least three times.  Running with default settings except for using channel 108.  I've also tried many other bands.

Sounds like I should have purchased the RAX200 instead.  This will be my last Netgear purchase if not fixed in the next 12 months and I have all Netgear equipment on my network right now.  It does no good to buy a service contract.  They don't elevate your problem to programmers so they can be ware of the problem.  They just close your case.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7