× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HP Printer won't accept password

etzee
Aspirant

HP Printer won't accept password

Just switched to a new MK63 Mesh router. Everything conncects, except the printer which wont accept the password. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 8

Re: HP Printer won't accept password

If this is an existing printer that you are connecting to a new router, then you may have to reset the printer and set it up from scratch.

The usual way to fix wifi printers is to find the printer maker's utility, the software that runs on your operating system. Then use that to connect the printer to the wifi.

The router just broadcasts wifi. It is then down to the printer to play ball. There isn't much that you can do on a router, beyond fixing it to a particular IP address, that affects what the printer gets up to.

Where possible, using the WPS feature can simplify things.

You can also visit the printer maker's support pages for help. Perhaps you have done that already. You don't say.

Message 2 of 8
etzee
Aspirant

Thank you for your response. I was with Netgear tech support. We have determined that the HP7520 printer wireless module is too old to sync with the new WiFi 6 on this Netgear router. I guess I either need to got o the Orbii or change my printer.

Message 3 of 8

@etzee wrote:

We have determined that the HP7520 printer wireless module is too old to sync with the new WiFi 6 on this Netgear router.

I very much doubt it. That is a standard "get out of jail card" that support people throw around when they are stumped.

The router just puts out wifi. There's nothing special about it.

If possible, you could try to disable the AX wifi to see if that makes any difference, but perhaps they tried that.

I still think you should see what HP has to say. Netgear support is the wrong place for help with someone else's hardware.

HP Photosmart 7520 e-All-in-One Printer series | HP® Customer Support

Connect to a Wireless HP Printer | HP® Customer Support

Message 4 of 8
Topology
Virtuoso

Etzee, if available on your router, it may be worthwhile to select “the Disable PMF option in the Advanced Wireless Settings page in the router web interface to fix legacy wireless client and printer connection issues” (see the release notes for the RAX120 1.0.1.90 firmware).

In addition, it may be helpful to ensure that you are connecting the printer to a primary (not guest) network SSID, and that your password contains only letters and digits.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 8

The router supports WPS.

So does the printer.

Tried that?

Message 6 of 8
etzee
Aspirant

Thank you all for your help. I had another HP printer on hand and have switched to it and it connected with no issues already. I gave the 7520 to a buddy! 

Message 7 of 8
etzee
Aspirant

l. Understood, but I had another printer already to switch to, so I did and the issue went away.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7