× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hacked even with armor active

Quasar
Aspirant

Hacked even with armor active

I got a letter from my ISP that my connection was used to hack, I purchased netgear armor and activated it on my netgear router nighhawk x6 r8000 and on all other devices. A week later I recieved the same letter form my ISP and today i noticed a strange connection in my network. a unknown device was connected to the network named Han Hoi precision computer thrue wifi. I had set the router to not allow new devices to connect to the router but still it did.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
CallPaul
Apprentice

Re: Hacked even with armor active

Han Hai Precision Computer is the official name of Foxconn, Inc. which makes iPhones among other products for different vendors. They didn't "hack" your router.

Message 2 of 8
Quasar
Aspirant

You can name you computer what ever you want it doesnt mean that it is accually that company, issue is that there is no machine with this mac adres in my house not even de brother printer that was offline at the time.

Message 3 of 8
avtella
Prodigy

Quasar, what the previous poster was alluding was not about manually naming.. It's that certain devices by default show up as the manufacturer, like I've seen the PS4 for example does for some show up as Hon Hai Precision and you can rename it to whatever you wan't of course.. I have a device on my own network that shows up as Hon Hai Precision as well before I renamed it, which I think was one of my media players.

As for being hacked:

Scenario 1: If you are talking about devices showing up in Windows that are not yours, that can happen due to some discovery function on Windows that can show neigboring devices at times, but they aren't actually connected to your netwrork though, so nothing to worry about.

Scenario 2: If the unknown device/s are showing up in your router attached devices section then yeah that scenario may be worrysome. I'd change the WiFi password.

Message 4 of 8
Quasar
Aspirant

You are both right I don’t argue about that it is just weird. I got 2 letters from my isp that claims that my connection is used for hacking. I need to find out how that is done or what the course is because I’m out of options now
Message 5 of 8
Quasar
Aspirant

It showed up in my router btw -after a factory reset- and no other device are allowed to make connection.

Message 6 of 8
Topology
Virtuoso

Quasar, this article describes an available hotfix that addresses security vulnerabilities with the R8000.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 7 of 8
Quasar
Aspirant

Thx I’ll look into that
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements