× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help needed

Tinkerbell666
Aspirant

Help needed

Hi all,
I'm new here and looking for something help please. I apologise in advance if this is posted in the wrong place.
I have BT fibre 900. I want to change my BT router to a netgear in the hope I will get better WiFi in my house. I have got the netgear nighthawk s8000 8 ethernet port and am looking for a decent router. My modem is separate from the router (I think its the white box on the wall, picture attached). Can anyone suggest something decent please that may offer better/stronger wifi. Many thanks in advance
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Help needed

How big is your home and what materials are the interior walls made of? 

Sometimes its not a matter of just getting a new router but upgrading to diffeent stye system like a mesh system if you're looking for better coverage. 

Message 2 of 8
Tinkerbell666
Aspirant

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply. My house is about 170 years old. So Full of concrete and brick.
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Ouch. 

2 of the best blockers of wifi. 

Many who end up in situations like yours end up using a mesh system with a wired backhaul. That wired backhaul could be using moca adapters, powerline, or ethernet. 

Message 4 of 8
Tinkerbell666
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply again. Tell me about it. You goto love concrete. I'm really sorry but you lost me at mesh. I'm not very tech savy on this kind of stuff.
With my Bt I've got the bt wifi disc upstairs which is not to bad. Items tend to loose the connectivity and Internet which is why I'm looking into something that offers a stronger WiFi. From what I've read some netgear offer WiFi 6 (I think) so really just looking at options that won't break the bank.
Message 5 of 8
Tinkerbell666
Aspirant

I was looking at something the Nighthawk pro XR1000. From what I read it seems to offer good WiFi range.
Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

wifi 6 didn't increase signal strength, it just made the weak signal a little more efficient. 

A mesh system is something that uses multiple access points (satellites) to pickup and rebroadcast a signal. 

with the concrete/brick I'd recommend either using a triband system like orbi or using a dual band with the wired backhaul. 

Message 7 of 8
Tinkerbell666
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. Its time for me to do some in depth research and understand more of what I need to do. Thank.you again.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7