× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with New Router

Erinpiper
Star

Help with New Router

Hello,

HELP.  I think it's time to upgrade from my old WNDR3400V3 router.  Should I consider a new router? 

I think I have 10 or so devices to connect.  I have a small home 1400sq ft and connection with the old router seemed to be  pretty good.  Is a Nighthawk router good for the number of devices?  

I am a bit lost here and do not know where to start.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Message 1 of 29

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Help with New Router

@Erinpiper wrote:

Are those options compatible with the new Nighthawk app?  Is the app something to consider when looking at these new routers?

Will Netgear honor the renewed router as if it were new and does Netgear do the renew on the unit?  I have never tried anything that was renewed?

Thank You

Renewed warranties are shorter as well as the support period is less. But even if you factor in an aftermarket warranty through amazon, its still far cheaper. And its just a thought. If its concerning and you'd like a longer support period, then go with a new device. but you'll end up with a lower spec device for the same price. 

In terms of 6E, its not really in the budget for what you're plans are. And I'm not a huge fan of it yet as there really isn't much for 6e devices and its range is much shorter than 2.4ghz/5ghz. 

With the devices you have, a decent dual band router should be more than enough. Tribands are nice when you get a lot of devices streaming at once. Your internet connection will bottleneck before the router will with what you're current speeds are. 

And I'd certainly recommend making sure you have at least gigabit. 100mbps might be your speeds now, but a lot of the isp's have been setting their base speeds at that 200mbps speeds. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 29

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

This model router is several years old and apart of the older generation of routers. 

You might consider checking in to a R or RAX series newer generation router as a upgrade:

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for Smart WiFi Router products:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Message 2 of 29
Erinpiper
Star

Thank You for your help and suggestions.  I did not know where to start.  I will look at the links you gave me.

Message 3 of 29
plemans
Guru

Yes, an upgrade might be worth it. That router is pretty old and several generations behind. 

You put that you have 10 devices and the size of your home, good work.

What speeds do you pay your isp for? 

Are you doing a lot of streaming or what do you use the internet for? 

Whats your budget? (sometimes an older higher quality router is better than a newer one)

Message 4 of 29
Erinpiper
Star

Thank you very much for your help.  I will have to check to see what speed we have as I am not sure.  Probably something I should know.

I do not think I do very much streaming but I do have Roku and a Fire TV, would that be considered streaming?  They both seem to work well with whatever my current speed is.    Generally now I do alot of searching for products, email, some video calling and shopping.  The video calls seem to be pretty good quality.   I do have Discovery and Disney plus but usually watch on Roku.  Thinking about it I don't believe I counted the Roku or the Fire TV in the number of devices.

If I could stay between say $200 to $300 that would be great.

Thank you again I do appreciate the help.  This is all so new and I feel a bit lost.

Erinpiper

Message 5 of 29
Erinpiper
Star

Do I need / Should I consider one with 4g LTE?  Is that something that might be beneficial or something I would need in the future? 

Is a router that is compatible with the Nighthawk app something to consider over other routers?  Does the Nighthawk app do the same things the Netgear Genie program does or did?   Does 90Mbps sound correct?  I did a speed test and that is the result of the download speed test.  I still need to check to see what I am paying for.

Thank You

Message 6 of 29
plemans
Guru

Amazon has a renewed RAX75 (AX5700) for around that $150. pretty cheap as new its around 300. 

Or you can go with a solid AC router like the R7800. 

There's other ones you can look at and peruse. 

Message 7 of 29
Erinpiper
Star

Hello,

Is the Nighthawk router 6 and 6E something to consider over just a Nighthawk router?   4 Stream, 5 Stream  How many streams and what is the difference?  The same for dual band, tri band What should I be considering here for what I have?  I am paying for 100Mbps with my internet provider, am I correct in beliving that I do not need a router that would be in the Gbps speed range?

I currently have one tablet, a chromebook and a desktop computer along with 3 phones and the Roku and Fire TV.  

Any suggestions on what would be a good router to purchase next?    

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thank You.

Message 8 of 29
Erinpiper
Star

Are those options compatible with the new Nighthawk app?  Is the app something to consider when looking at these new routers?

Will Netgear honor the renewed router as if it were new and does Netgear do the renew on the unit?  I have never tried anything that was renewed?

Thank You

Message 9 of 29
plemans
Guru

@Erinpiper wrote:

Thank You

Renewed warranties are shorter as well as the support period is less. But even if you factor in an aftermarket warranty through amazon, its still far cheaper. And its just a thought. If its concerning and you'd like a longer support period, then go with a new device. but you'll end up with a lower spec device for the same price. 

In terms of 6E, its not really in the budget for what you're plans are. And I'm not a huge fan of it yet as there really isn't much for 6e devices and its range is much shorter than 2.4ghz/5ghz. 

With the devices you have, a decent dual band router should be more than enough. Tribands are nice when you get a lot of devices streaming at once. Your internet connection will bottleneck before the router will with what you're current speeds are. 

And I'd certainly recommend making sure you have at least gigabit. 100mbps might be your speeds now, but a lot of the isp's have been setting their base speeds at that 200mbps speeds. 

Message 10 of 29
Erinpiper
Star

Thank You to everyone who responded with help, suggestions and links.  Looks like I have some research to do to narrow down all your great suggetions.  I will search the Netgear site for your suggestions and try to figure out my best options.  

I appreciate all your help and giving me a direction to go in to find the best one for my needs.

Erinpiper 

Message 11 of 29
Erinpiper
Star

Would the tri-band ax8 8 stream ax6200 wifi6 rax78 be something to consider or is it more than I need, for another $65?

With a new router like this, will it require a new modem or will my current modem be sufficient?  It seems to work well with my current router and was supplied by the isp.

Message 12 of 29
Erinpiper
Star

I just checked the Netgear website for the router you mentioned, the rax75.  Seems that they don't sell that router online from Netgear anymore, they take you to an outside retailer.  Is this a common practice for Netgear?  Seems like it is a fairly new router that they no longer sell themselves.  Just struck me a bit odd. 

Message 13 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Also depends on stock as well. 

Message 14 of 29
wcalifas
Prodigy

Dam wndr3400v3? You're so far behind that even an R6400 and up to a newer nighthawk would be out of this world compared to that router that you have.

Message 15 of 29
plemans
Guru

Most of the renewed stuff I find is from amazon. 

I haven't seen renewed sold from netgear in a very very long time. 

I've used their renewed stuff quite regularly before and I've been very fortunate with it. Not saying all are good but I've done well. 

Message 16 of 29

@Erinpiper wrote:

I just checked the Netgear website for the router you mentioned, the rax75.  Seems that they don't sell that router online from Netgear anymore, they take you to an outside retailer.  Is this a common practice for Netgear? 

Nothing sinister about this. I wouldn't be surprised if other brands did the same thing.

People like BestBuy like to sell unique products that don't appear elsewhere. Their choice.

ISPs also do the same thing.

Sometimes they don't even appear in the Netgear support system.

Then there are things that are older products that survive in the supply chain.

Message 17 of 29
Erinpiper
Star

Hello,

In checking Amazon I am seeing an RAX80 router listed at $200, But the listing is under  an "Other Offers"  type catagory.  The listing claims everything is new in the packaging and is listed as "in very good" condition.  I suspect this IS NOT omething that is Amazon Renewed, correct?  Has anyone purchased a router from this catagory?  The router is sold through Amazon but the seller seems to be a third party.  Is this something to take a chance on or just stick to the Amazon Renewed?  Is the RAX80 worth the $50, over the RAX75 that is Amazon Renewed?

Thank You 

Message 18 of 29

@Erinpiper wrote:

The router is sold through Amazon but the seller seems to be a third party.  Is this something to take a chance on or just stick to the Amazon Renewed? 

Netgear isn't likely to now much about stuff that third party sellers put through Amazon.

I do recall seeing that Amazon is not a "qualified", whatever that means, seller.

Is this something to take a chance on or just stick to the Amazon Renewed?  Is the RAX80 worth the $50, over the RAX75 that is Amazon Renewed?

What do Amazon reviews say? These questions rarely come up here.

For general advice on Nertgewar's RAX models, try the appropriate section.

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

Message 19 of 29
Erinpiper
Star

Took your suggestion and found a renewed RAX80 router for $200 with 2 year warranty. Will post on ease of install and how it works.
Thank You
Message 20 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 21 of 29
plemans
Guru

Hope it works well for you!

Message 22 of 29
Erinpiper
Star

I received the router today.  Went to download the Nighthawk app and it says the app is not compatible with this device. 

Is there another app or a way around this?  I was really hoping this would work like the Net Genie did.  

Message 23 of 29

@Erinpiper wrote:

I received the router today.  Went to download the Nighthawk app and it says the app is not compatible with this device. 

Is there another app or a way around this? 

Was that the second-hand RAX80 mentioned a few messages ago?

The Nighthawk app supports it.

Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Two possibilities I can think of:

• you need to factory reset the thing to wipe put inherited settings
  • the seller dumped it because it has a problem

Then again, where did you try to download the app? And which version is it? (Android or iOS?)

More details from you could help to pin down the problem. For example, what told you that "the app is not compatible with this device"?

Message 24 of 29
Erinpiper
Star

The router is certified refurbished and has the Netgear warranty card.  It is the RAX80-100nar.

I attempted to get the Nighthawk app to put on my HP chromebook.  I can find the app on Google Play but it claims it is not compatible with this device.  I cant put the app on the chromebook, I believe that is the compatibility issue.  I am beginning to suspect I am out of luck until Netgear puts out an app compatible with chromebook.  Was hoping there was a way around this.

Thank You

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7