× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Home networking with CM1150V and RAX80

eZAK
Aspirant

Home networking with CM1150V and RAX80

Ok, Here is my situation, and go easy on me I just turned 58

I have 1GB service from Comcast and just installed the CM1150V. Works great now, getting between 962 and 945 Mbps.

(Got rid of xFi Advantage b/c they raised it to $25mo.)

Anyway The punk a** Kid wants better WiFi in the house, (or Any WiFi as it stands now) The house is completely wired in CAT5e

He said "Your an electrician, make it happen"

So I buy a R6400v2 Router. That turned out to be a dismal failure. Apparentlyconnecting that router to the CM1150V

shuts down the whole internet > comcast reset > repeat 4  times......

Which now leads me to the RAX80 or RAX75. (not here yet)

Would either of these play nice with CM1150V?

Then throw in a TP-Link 16 port switch for IoT's

Do I need to deal with Comcast again for set up?? What about port aggration? What about more beer?

My plan is to turn on port aggration on modem and WiFi router. Connect WAN port on router to LAN 1 on modem,

Then connect the custom desk top gammer PC to LAN 2 on modem > printer on LAN 3.

The switch will then connect to LAN 1 on router.

Will this work OR am I losing it here ???

Thank You!

Message 1 of 10

I'd begin with trying to sort out this bit:

@eZAK wrote:

So I buy a R6400v2 Router. That turned out to be a dismal failure. Apparentlyconnecting that router to the CM1150V

shuts down the whole internet > comcast reset > repeat 4  times......

It doesn't sound right and is something that might also hit whatever you buy to replace the R6400v2.

How are you feeding the house now? The CM1150V is a modem only device, with no router. You'll need that to connect more than one device to the outside world. Is there soemthing ion there that you haven't told us about.

If the sprog just wants decent wifi in his bolt hole, just slap the R6400v2 into an Ethernet outlet near him. But first there is that router.

@eZAK wrote:

Which now leads me to the RAX80 or RAX75. (not here yet)

I'd spend some time wandering around here and reading about that stuff before going down that road. RAX kit seems to be work in progress for Netgear. (The standards still haven't settled down.) Not a pretty sight.

Old hands tout the R7800 as the "go to" device for a simple life, but I see no sign that it does "port aggregation". But why go down that road just to beef up the local wifi?

Message 2 of 10
plemans
Guru

From reading your post, it looks like you still have your pc connected to the modem with the router. The CM1150v only supports single device connected to it unless your isp allows multiple public IP addresses (most don't). The extra ports are for link aggregation or those rare instances of an ISP allowing the multiple public ip's. If you enabled port aggregation on the cm1150v, disable it. 

do this:

unhook everything from the R6400v2 and the CM1150v and power them both down.

Hook the coax back to the modem and power it on. give it a few minutes.

ONLY connect the router to port 1 of the cm1150v. 

Power the router on. Give it a few minutes to fully boot.

then try the setup on the R6400v2.  

Like I said, it sounds like you're hooking multiple devices to the modem and you can't do that. there's a few exceptions to that but it tends to be for those with business class lines or the lucky few with ISP's that allow multipe IP's. Comcast I know doesn't. 

Message 3 of 10
eZAK
Aspirant

OK, All of that is something to ponder.

First let me say that If what you guys are saying is true, (I have no reason to doubt you both) then that would mean several other people would have lied to me already.

As for the R6400v2 WiFi router goes, I/we were never able to set it up and were unable to connect to it wirelessly.

This WiFi router was returned to the store!

Now to the CM1150V, Which I was led to believe, is a Modem/Router! I was also told that I could connect a WiFi router to this modem.

Then there is this from Netgears web page; 

"Gigabit Ethernet Ports—Four (4) Gigabit Ethernet ports (allows 2 LAN port aggregation to double maximum wired speeds). Use with any wired devices for faster access and downloads. "

In the next couple of days I will be returning the CM1150V.

So what would you fellas suggest as a replacement? I would like to keep the WiFi router separate from the modem with voice.

[Large home, 1Gb service, WiFi would be used for gaming at times]

Message 4 of 10

@eZAK wrote:

As for the R6400v2 WiFi router goes, I/we were never able to set it up and were unable to connect to it wirelessly.

Only you know what you did during setup and where it went wrong. The right strategy for this and any other router is:

• get the modem connected to the Internet
  • disconnect everything else from the modem
  • turn it off
  • plug the WAN (Internet) port on the router into the LAN port on the modem.
  • turn on the modem,
  • let it connect to the Internet and settle down.
  • turn on the router
  • take it through the setup process.

All this is explained in the quick start guide and manual.

@eZAK wrote:

Now to the CM1150V, Which I was led to believe, is a Modem/Router! I was also told that I could connect a WiFi router to this modem.

Whoever said it is a modem/router was misleading you. It isn't. Netgear uses the "CMXXXX" tag for modems and the CMXXXX tag for modem routers. (The V on the end says "Voice".)

They were correct though in saying that you can connect a wifi router to it. (Actually, it would have been more misleading if they had said that you can connect a wifi router to a modem/router: you can but with difficultly.)

This bit can mislead people:

@eZAK wrote:

"Gigabit Ethernet Ports—Four (4) Gigabit Ethernet ports (allows 2 LAN port aggregation to double maximum wired speeds). Use with any wired devices for faster access and downloads. "

The "any wired devices" needs explaining. It does not mean that you can run a whole host of different devices that need separate IP addresses, such as half a dozen PCs through a simple switch.

What it means is that you can use the ports on the back to do fancy stuff that can squeeze more speed out of the connection using "link aggregation".

There is nothing wrong with the modem you have. Whether or not the link aggregation feature is any use is down to the ISP and whatever router you buy to connect to the modem.

This bit is important.

@eZAK wrote:

So what would you fellas suggest as a replacement? I would like to keep the WiFi router separate from the modem with voice.

The router you have does voice. If that is essential, then you have a limited choice. The only alternative I can find is the CM500V. This looks simpler and has none of the aggregation complexity.

As to the size of your property, that should influence the choice of router. You can get an idea of possibilities by plugging your needs into the product pages for wifi routers:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Whoever said it is a modem/router was misleading you. It isn't. Netgear uses the "CMXXXX" tag for modems and the CMXXXX tag for modem routers. (The V on the end says "Voice".)

Not trying to nitpick. CXXXX is modem/router combo devices. CMxxxx is modem only devices. 

Message 6 of 10

@plemans wrote:

Not trying to nitpick. CXXXX is modem/router combo devices. CMxxxx is modem only devices. 

Nothing picky about correcting my mistake!

It is in line with the DMXXX being a DSL modem and a DXXXX being a modem/router.

Message 7 of 10
eZAK
Aspirant

"All this is explained in the quick start guide and manual"

Yep, did all that again and again.....

Does not and can not finish set up.

During set up of R6400v2 > router WAN plugged into LAN 1 > access set up software via cell >

runs to near end but does not complete set up > No WiFi access > Plug PC into R6400v2 > No wired internet > unplugged router

> PC to modem > No internet access > call Comcast > Repeat....................

I did a lot of researching products, lot of browsing forums, blogs, etc.....

Everybody has an opinion, then there are the BS'rs and what not. even on a companies own web site!

So here is what I'm getting out of this so far; CM1150V is a good modem but can only accept one device at a time.

(right now the PC and printer are working flawlessly together) The other three 1gig ports on the modem are for show.

Any router can be connected to the modem, then all other devices can connect to through the router,

( except the R6400v2, which was proven.)

So my choices are to try another router (but not RAX) and hope for the best OR scorch the earth and start over.

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

the extra ports on the aren't pointless but they are restricted because of ISP's. Some ISP's allow multiple public ip address or use it for business lines to seperate out traffic.  It also allows wan port aggregation for speeds >1gig.  If your isp doesn't allow this, how is netgear supposed to control this? 

its a little sad that it isn't advertised better for people not aware of this. 

But if you need telephone service and want 1 gig service, this is netgears only router that supports voice and 1gig  or greater speed. 

I'm not sure exactly what you have going on with the R6400 but I know it works with that modem.  My neighbor is using this exact same configuration.  

Have you tried reinstalling the firmware to the router, factory resetting it and then reinstalling the router?  Occassionally the firmware gets corrupted during and update and a factory reset doesn't overwrite the firmware, it only removes the settings.  If you do this, make sure to power off the modem before connecting the r6400?

Also what firmware is on the r6400? I know the r6400v2 recieved netgear armor in version 1.0.4.78.  Armor was a quite significant change to the firmware in that it removed several services to add Armor.  Many devices had issues with this firmware. Potentially yours could be one of those. try downgrading the firmware to version 1.0.3.66, factory reset, and try the install.

I'd also recommend trying the install from a pc or laptop. I have much better success with installing that way versus the app.  

Message 9 of 10
eZAK
Aspirant

"If your isp doesn't allow this, how is netgear supposed to control this?"

Easy, It's called marketing! A product such as this should say "Intended for buisness's"

A home version should only come with one ethernet port.

The R6400v2 is a dead horse !

Thanks to everyone that contributed here, I appreciate your knowledge.

At this point I will continue my search for a suitable WiFi router.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7