× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to get best performance from Nighthawk AX120 (transfers over home network)??

F34R
Tutor

How to get best performance from Nighthawk AX120 (transfers over home network)??

So, I'm transferring files from my PC to my iPad.  Doing over my wifi network since it's faster than USB transfers.  My PC is connected to the RAX120 via Ethernet, while my iPad is connected to the 5GHz band.  I'm able to reach between 400-750Mbs on the transfer.  The max the iPad can go is 1200Mbs.

My 5G antenna is on channel 36, and using the "Up to 4803Mbps (80MHz)(11ax, HT80, 1024-QAM) mode.

Any suggestions or advice on how to improve the speed?  

The iPad wifi details are:

802.11 standard, name, frequency  - ax@5GHz

Maximum PHY data rate - 1200Mbs

Maximum channel bandwidth - 80MHz

Maximum MCS index - 11 (HE)

Maximum spatial streams - 2/MIMO

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: How to get best performance from Nighthawk AX120 (transfers over home network)??

hitting 400-750mbps is pretty darned good for transferring between devices with one of them wireless. 

I'm not sure what speeds you're expecting from it as many variables impact data transfer speeds between devices. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: How to get best performance from Nighthawk AX120 (transfers over home network)??

hitting 400-750mbps is pretty darned good for transferring between devices with one of them wireless. 

I'm not sure what speeds you're expecting from it as many variables impact data transfer speeds between devices. 

Message 2 of 5
F34R
Tutor

Oh I agree that it's a good speed as is, but I was just seeing if it could be pushed further.  Just wanted to reach out and see if this is the best, or are there other things I can do to increase it.  If not, no biggie, no complaints.  The router has been rock solid for just under 2 years now.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

tough to say. like I said, there's a ton of variables. 

1. different OS's

2. different file types

3. different formatting to the systems

4. different ssd read/write speeds and cache's

5. wireless performance/interfrence for the wireless device

6. network overhead

7. different device performance (cpu/ram/etc)

plus more since this was just a quick list. 

I couldn't even give you a realistic expectation between devices. I have 2x servers and can get entirely different speeds based on what drive the data is on, what format the drive is on, etc. 

Message 4 of 5
F34R
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

tough to say. like I said, there's a ton of variables. 

1. different OS's

2. different file types

3. different formatting to the systems

4. different ssd read/write speeds and cache's

5. wireless performance/interfrence for the wireless device

6. network overhead

7. different device performance (cpu/ram/etc)

plus more since this was just a quick list. 

I couldn't even give you a realistic expectation between devices. I have 2x servers and can get entirely different speeds based on what drive the data is on, what format the drive is on, etc. 

Yeah, I was considering all that basically.  I was running the file transfer from my main pc, and the only traffic was the PC and iPad.

I didn't think there was anything wrong, but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask.  Maybe there's something I missed that would improve the speed.  Someone else replied in the subreddit that my speeds are very close to maxed with 2 antenna spacial streams available for the iPad.  Much appreciated for the replies for sure.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7