× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to open ports

KimmyPrice
Aspirant

How to open ports

Hi,

I've already read the articles on "port opening" but they're all over my head.  Giving directions with terminology I'm not familiar with, just didn't help me.  Feels like I need to be an IT person just to understand the articles.  Hoping someone can explain it in laymans terms so I dont mess up my entire set up, just trying to open one port.  I need to plug in the cord that goes to my security cameras as a first step. Then my security camera technician can walk me through setting up the ability to see my cameras from an app on my phone as well!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Forget about opening ports. It may or may not be necessary. Start by explaining what you are trying to do. 

You mention a security camera. Is that the challenge? What make is it? And how does it connect to your network?

Message 2 of 5
KimmyPrice
Aspirant

I have security cameras.  I thought I explained what I was trying to do in the original post, but i'll try again.  There is a cord from my security system that needs "online" access.  My security camera technician said that my ports need to be opened (whatever that means) so that their cord, that plugs into the netgear router, has access to internet. 

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@KimmyPrice wrote:

I need to plug in the cord that goes to my security cameras as a first step.

Any LAN port of your router should to the job.

@KimmyPrice wrote:

Then my security camera technician can walk me through setting up the ability to see my cameras from an app on my phone as well!

Convinced this tech is able to guide you towards installing e.g. TeamViewer (thgis does again not require port forwarding configured) so you can allow him to grant remote control of your computer so he can guide you on using this unknown NVR system, assist you with the reservation of an address so that NVR system does always receive the same LAN IP from the router DHCP server and set-up the port forwarding. Note that you need a public routeable WAN/Internet IP address assigned to your router WAN/Internet port - otherwise there won't be any luck. Clearly a job this tech must be able to deal with and to assist you. If not - you work with the wrong service partner.

This requires at least a little bit affinty to IT, to handle your router, to check yourInternet connection. Forwarding a protocol/port is easy, and certinly described in the fine documentation. To figure out why it might not work - some ideas above - does require some more experience. 

Trustworthy NVR systems offer the remote access e.g. from a mobile App to connect over the vendor cloud. Open ports is a tech from yesterday, mid or long term most of these systems will be hacked or abused.

Message 4 of 5

@KimmyPrice wrote:

I have security cameras.  I thought I explained what I was trying to do in the original post, but i'll try again. 

Sorry, but that is not much clearer.

@KimmyPrice wrote:

There is a cord from my security system that needs "online" access. 

So, you have security cameras of an unknown make that need to connect to your router. At least we now know that it is a cable that you connect and not wifi.

@KimmyPrice wrote:

My security camera technician said that my ports need to be opened (whatever that means) so that their cord, that plugs into the netgear router, has access to internet. 

I get the feeling that you won't get anywhere on your own. You need a technician to take you through the steps.

If you can tell people here what ports they say you should work on, then someone might be able to help.

You might even find that someone here has been down the same road. But without any clue as to the make and model of your cameras – there are hundreds of them to chose from – they are shooting in the dark.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find the documentation, and, if there are any, firmware versions and drivers for your hardware.

Look for the exact model number on the label on the device. R8000 and R8000P are not the same.

There is a section Specify Internet Port Settings but you probably need your technician to check that and tell you what to so.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7