× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I have the RAX200 is the EAX80 the correct Extender for it?

bacin87
Tutor

I have the RAX200 is the EAX80 the correct Extender for it?

I I have the RAX200 I have a older home that kills wifi will the EAX80 the correct Extender for it?

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

If you've got cat7 ran throughout the house and you're still within your return period on the RAX200, I'd return it and go with the orbi setup.
Reason why is orbi has single ssid function with roaming. And it supports a wired and/or wireless backhaul.
Versus the EAX80, when its hardwired in running in access point mode, doesn't function as a mesh device. It only functions as a mesh device in wireless extender mode.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@bacin87 wrote:

I I have the RAX200 I have a older home that kills wifi will the EAX80 the correct Extender for it?

there's many extenders that would work. I'm a fan of the triband extenders (there isn't an AX triband extender yet). 

but the EAX80 would work with it. Would it work well in your home? Its tough to tell off the minimum info you gave. some older homes have plaster lathe walls or other materials that block wifi very well. I thats the case, sometimes its better to check into powerline devices, moca adapters, or even full mesh systems.

What is your home made of? 

What size is it? 

Message 2 of 6
bacin87
Tutor

You're correct it is plaster lathe walls so for majority of the home I ran cat7. The house had knob and tube that's being replaced so powerline didn't work well after the rest of my house is rewired which will be done over the next two months I'll look at my power line adapter options.
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

If you've got cat7 ran throughout the house and you're still within your return period on the RAX200, I'd return it and go with the orbi setup.
Reason why is orbi has single ssid function with roaming. And it supports a wired and/or wireless backhaul.
Versus the EAX80, when its hardwired in running in access point mode, doesn't function as a mesh device. It only functions as a mesh device in wireless extender mode.
Message 4 of 6
bacin87
Tutor

I was already outside of the return. So I think I'll get it as a wireless mesh device just support certain areas of my house that I can't run wired and everything else will be wired through my switch into my router.
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Either way the RAX200 is a pretty solid device. 

Good luck with the setup and let us know if you have issues!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7