× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I need to remove Netgear Armor from Nighthawk RAX35v2 Router. It's garbage worm and I want it

ketcham
Initiate

I need to remove Netgear Armor from Nighthawk RAX35v2 Router. It's garbage worm and I want it gone

I just bought a  Nighthawk RAX35v2  and it forced this Armor crap on my Router. Nobody wants this junk and I need it completely removed or I will return this paper weight promptly!!! You shouldn't have to deal with any of this just because Netgear is greedy and wants to take advantage of people who know nothing about their network. I need a fix for this now please!!

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: I need to remove Netgear Armor from Nighthawk RAX35v2 Router. It's garbage worm and I want it

You can disabled it. 

But armor is integrated into the firmware so there isn't a way to just "remove it"

https://kb.netgear.com/000060900/How-do-I-turn-NETGEAR-Armor-on-or-off-using-the-Nighthawk-or-Orbi-a...

Message 2 of 9
ketcham
Initiate

Thanks but this is not at all usefull to me. I have already disabled. I don't want netgear spyware on my network and I will return this router and replace it with something less intrusive if it cannot be totally removed. I will return this item to the store this weekend.

Message 3 of 9
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Considering your browser probably tells a site more about you than Armor I would think it's the last of your worries to be honest plus your isp and DNS thrown in. 
if it's not enabled there will be no communication unless you turn it on or subscribe to the service and to be honest all routers phone home even just for checking updates and i really don't think they are interested in us mortals. 

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

Netgear=Armor

Asus=aiprotection from trendmicro

Tp-LInk-Avira

etc.

most router manufacturers are incorporating some type of security. If you don't want it on the device at all, then buy an enterprise level device or build your own router so you can control its features. 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/numbers-dont-lie-its-time-to-build-your-own-router/

Otherwise it gets incorporated into the firmware. It doesn't have to be enabled. 

Message 5 of 9
roger1955
Apprentice

No worries,

You just have to do a factory reset, it is the only way. When you do, don't enable it again. 

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 6 of 9
don544
Aspirant

And no where does it tell you you have to pay for the service when they promote it on the box , only afterwords do you get that info.

Message 7 of 9
Razor512
Prodigy

Do a factory reset and then use your web browser to do the setup and NOT the nighthawk app.

That will keep the armor service from being enabled.

Message 8 of 9
dcarvil
Aspirant

I realize this is an old thread, but I am still having the issue of Armor phoning home.  Doing a factory reset and not activating Armor does not completely stop Armor from phoning home.  The number of "phone homes" is reduced, but it still contacts three different bitdefender.net sites every two hours.  

My router also contacts www.netgear.com every 10 minutes, and other netgear and amazonaws sites multiple times per day.  So far, I have found no way to stop this.  Disabling the connections with pi-hole seems to increase the frequency of the contact attempts.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7