× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IPV6 preferred lifetime does not update

Jeronimo454
Tutor

IPV6 preferred lifetime does not update

Hello

I have a NetGear Nighthawk AX12 (RAX200).

I have enabled IPV6 and it is set to autoconfig. 

The IPV6 address on my computer is set when I enable IPV6 in the router. But after a while I don't have IPV6 connectivity anymore.

I did some digging and found out that the IPV6 address on my computer is set by the ICMPv6 type 134 packets (router advertisements) sent out by the router.

These packets contain a preferred and valid lifetime that tell my computer how long the IPV6 address should be used.

This lifetime is set to ~ "71558" when I enable IPV6 in the router. In the following ICMPV6 type 134 packets this value counts down to 0 and is never augmented anymore... because of this I loose my IPV6 connectivity. 

I verified this with Wireshark and "Netsh interface ipv6 show addresses" in powershell on my computer. 

Is there a setting in the router that I am missing? Or is this a bug? What should I do to correct this? (yes I can use the DHCP server setting instead of auto config for IPv6, but Android does not support this)

Thanks

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 3
Jeronimo454
Tutor

No-one? 😞
Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7