× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Internet completely dropping

DarkSorrow
Initiate

Internet completely dropping

For the past 2 days my RAX120 Router is completely dropping ALL internet activity from all connected devices. When I reboot the router it works for maybe 15-30 minutes then drops all connections again. I was running the .111 firmware and downgraded back to the .108 and the same things is happening with absolutely no connectivity. The router shows an active internet connection though in the settings.
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 28
Jimpilot5
Star

Same problem here. Have to reboot router several times a day, internet is sometimes shown as online, sometimes off line. Speedtest through Nighthalk app always works though 

@DarkSorrow wrote:
For the past 2 days my RAX120 Router is completely dropping ALL internet activity from all connected devices. When I reboot the router it works for maybe 15-30 minutes then drops all connections again. I was running the .111 firmware and downgraded back to the .108 and the same things is happening with absolutely no connectivity. The router shows an active internet connection though in the settings.

Message 2 of 28
DarkSorrow
Initiate

I think I managed to fix mine. I pushed in the reset button then manually reset the router. Once I was connected I restored my settings from a backup. It's been 2 days with no issues so far.

Message 3 of 28
Boricua63
Tutor

Having similar drop offs as well on a daily basis.  I noticed these started to occur ever since I had the fiber optics service installed switching from my cable provider (Spectrum).  The speed is excellent but these disconnects are far too many and I did not have this problem with Spectrum.  I'm on the latest firmware:  1.0.9.88_10.2.88.  What else can be the issue here?

Nothing else has changed on my network.  I also noticed error messages on my 2.4Ghz devices stating I had too many devices on the wifi network.  Never saw these errors on Spectrum either.  I switched a few of the devices that supported 5g wifi and that seemed to help. 

Thanks,

Rafael

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 4 of 28
terryharrison
Aspirant

I'm having the same problems. Netgear sent me a new rax120 and it has the same problems. Tried 118 and 115 firmware.
Message 5 of 28
Jimpilot5
Star

For me a factory reset solved the issue. Pain in the butt but it worked. 

Message 6 of 28
Jimpilot5
Star

Well. Spoke too soon. It lasted for about 48 hours, now it's back to dropping internet again. Guess it's time to open up a ticket with Netgear.

Message 7 of 28
welchyboy
Star

I am having the same issue. Downloaded the 118 firmware and within an hour wifi was dead. I can speed test from the router but all internet quits until I reboot.
Message 8 of 28
Jimpilot5
Star

I've found that if you have an iPad or whatever connected via VPN it doesn't loose internet when other items on the Wi-Fi do loose internet 

Message 9 of 28
Boricua63
Tutor

Thanks for your replies.

My router continues to disconnect from the ISP modem & dropping Wifi connections (both bands) and there is no rhyme or reason for this. Quite frustrating.  Is there an internal test I can run on the router itself? 

What I'm hearing is that even a total factory reset may not solve the problem.  I did check the ISP vendor (modem & connection) and that is stable and no errors reported.  This really started when I switched from Spectrum.  Coincidence?

Am I going to have to buy a new router?  Should I go with a Google device vs NetGear?  I will do the research if I have to go down this path.  The R7000 has worked well for the past few years.  Thoughts?  

I plan to reset it tomorrow morning when everyone is still sleeping then either restore the backup file or configure the devices one by one....  

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 10 of 28
Topology
Virtuoso

The (intriguing) observation by Jimpilot5 that “if you have an iPad or whatever connected via VPN it doesn't lose internet,” may suggest the presence of a DNS problem. In particular, note the similarity to the situation described in message #21 in RAX120 Router Random Disconnects.  The solution appears to be a factory reset of the router, followed by manual entry of the settings (i.e., not importing a previously saved configuration file).

Message 11 of 28
Jimpilot5
Star

@Topology wrote:

The (intriguing) observation by Jimpilot5 that “if you have an iPad or whatever connected via VPN it doesn't lose internet,” may suggest the presence of a DNS problem. In particular, note the similarity to the situation described in message #21 in RAX120 Router Random Disconnects.  The solution appears to be a factory reset of the router, followed by manual entry of the settings (i.e., not importing a previously saved configuration file).

I tried a factory reset a few days ago, it worked for a day or two then reverted. When I did I left everything in factory default when I did, didn't last long.  I'm about two days into vpn holding solid connection, so somehow it has an effect.  Wish Netgear would get on this.

Message 12 of 28
Topology
Virtuoso

Jimpilot5, you may be interested in messages #64 and #84 in RAX120 Router Random Disconnects which discuss the recent adoption of encrypted DNS-over-HTTPS by Firefox.

Message 13 of 28
Jimpilot5
Star

@Topology wrote:

Jimpilot5, you may be interested in messages #64 and #84 in RAX120 Router Random Disconnects which discuss the recent adoption of encrypted DNS-over-HTTPS by Firefox.

Thank you but not nor never have used Firefox. I did see a reference to windows new browser going to it which I do use. Also using Safari on the iPads. 

Would hard selecting DNS servers help this?  I'm on the edge of my knowledge here, anyone who understands and want to explain will be appreciated 

Message 14 of 28
Jeremyd75
Tutor

Having the same issues I can open the app on my phone and it will say off line while I’m streaming off my fire stick ll asking Alexa what time it is I have no vpns also my laptops are not working nor my PlayStations just my amazon stuff weird I’m over resetting and having to do this 3 ones a day netgear better get on it before to much longer people pay good money and to be honest this router has been a bigger headache than the 90 belkin junk I had for 7 years that still doesn’t cause me any issue
Message 15 of 28
Jimpilot5
Star

@Jeremyd75 wrote:
Having the same issues I can open the app on my phone and it will say off line while I’m streaming off my fire stick ll asking Alexa what time it is I have no vpns also my laptops are not working nor my PlayStations just my amazon stuff weird I’m over resetting and having to do this 3 ones a day netgear better get on it before to much longer people pay good money and to be honest this router has been a bigger headache than the 90 belkin junk I had for 7 years that still doesn’t cause me any issue

yew I think we all feel this way   This is a top of the line router, in these times of being home and working from home more, we need a router we can count on. 

NETGEAR YOU NEED TO GET ON THIS PROBLEM. FEEL FRE TO CONTACT ME FOR INFO OR ANYWAY I CAN HELP, I HAVE  LOTS OF TIME RIGHT NOW. 

Message 16 of 28
Jimpilot5
Star

@Jeremyd75 wrote:

By the way does the fire stick use a form of VPN to connect maybe?

Message 17 of 28
Jeremyd75
Tutor

No I don’t use vpns on my fire sticks unless amazon uses something because all my amazon stuff stays connected but nothing else but I have never installed a vpn nor paid for one ever
Message 18 of 28
Jimpilot5
Star

I was wondering if it was maybe part of the fire stick connection, built in.. Maybe somebody knows 

@Jeremyd75 wrote:
No I don’t use vpns on my fire sticks unless amazon uses something because all my amazon stuff stays connected but nothing else but I have never installed a vpn nor paid for one ever

Message 19 of 28
Topology
Virtuoso

Jeremyd75, I have a hypothesis about why the Firestick remains connected to the Internet through the RAX120 while other devices in the network do not. A Firestick device appears to have a built-in DNS resolver specification (see here) and, as such, is able to avoid having the router proxy a DNS request to the ISP’s DNS servers. In contrast, other devices on the network lacking this capability must resolve the DNS through your router (see here).

Message 20 of 28
Jimpilot5
Star

@Topology wrote:

Jeremyd75, I have a hypothesis about why the Firestick remains connected to the Internet through the RAX120 while other devices in the network do not. A Firestick device appears to have a built-in DNS resolver specification (see here) and, as such, is able to avoid having the router proxy a DNS request to the ISP’s DNS servers. In contrast, other devices on the network lacking this capability must resolve the DNS through your router (see here).

And I understand that vpn by passes DNS lookup too. Now if Netgear will just work this. 

Message 21 of 28
JLinc
Guide

A factory reset also worked for me, restored from backup. Almost 24 hours now without a drop. Will update if things change.

Currently running 118 firmware.
Message 22 of 28
Jimpilot5
Star

@JLinc wrote:
A factory reset also worked for me, restored from backup. Almost 24 hours now without a drop. Will update if things change.

Currently running 118 firmware.

My factory reset lasted about 48 hours. Only thing working is the VPN connect for me 

Message 23 of 28
Boricua63
Tutor

This morning at 8am I reset my R7000 and I did not use a back up.  It took me 3 hours to get all the devices properly connected and configured.  Around 6pm I started getting connection drops. First my 5g connected devices then my 3 Ethernet connected devices dropped.  I can see the LED for the Internet on the router totally go dark.  When I plug in my desktop straight into the Internet connection it works fine. 

What is happening here?  Is the router going bad?  It seems that is the problem.  I'm out of warranty so unless I pay for support I'm stuck with this router or purchase a new one.  This is very frustrating...  

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 24 of 28
Jimpilot5
Star

@Boricua63 wrote:

This morning at 8am I reset my R7000 and I did not use a back up.  It took me 3 hours to get all the devices properly connected and configured.  Around 6pm I started getting connection drops. First my 5g connected devices then my 3 Ethernet connected devices dropped.  I can see the LED for the Internet on the router totally go dark.  When I plug in my desktop straight into the Internet connection it works fine. 

What is happening here?  Is the router going bad?  It seems that is the problem.  I'm out of warranty so unless I pay for support I'm stuck with this router or purchase a new one.  This is very frustrating...  

Sadly I'm afraid you are joining this group, all with the same problem. 

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7