× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is SSD SAMSUNG T5 compatible with RAX70 (AX6600) router for ReadyShare?

Robert00
Aspirant

Is SSD SAMSUNG T5 compatible with RAX70 (AX6600) router for ReadyShare?

Hello,

I would like to know if SSD SAMSUNG T5 is compatible with my router, RAX70 (AX6600). If yes, I plan to buy it to use for ReadyShare. If it's not compatible, I would appreciate if you can recommend any nice external hard around 2TB. 

Thanks!

Robert

Message 1 of 4
Razor512
Prodigy

Re: Is SSD SAMSUNG T5 compatible with RAX70 (AX6600) router for ReadyShare?

While i have not used that specific drive, I don't see anything specifically about it that would cause it to not work.

One thing to consider though is that you will not be able to take full advantage of the speed of that SSD. Currently I use a USB hard drive dock, and will occasionally test various different drives with it, including a Samsung 850 Pro, and up to a WD Red 8TB, though that is with my RAX50 (I do not have a RAX 70).

Usually with routers in general from all of the major brands.If the drive doesn't need any special drivers to function, then it stands a very good chance at working with a router. The exceptions are ones that are multi-function, such as ones that show up as multiple different devices

The only issue with using an SSD, is that a 2TB SSD cost more than an 8TB hard drive, and on a router, both will perform about the same

with apeeds in the 100-120MB/s range.

Modern hard drives in 4TB range, will easily do 160-180MB/s reads and writes.

While an SSD will have far lower latencies and multiple orders of magnitude better IOPS, a router will likely be the IOPS bottleneck for even a modern 4TB hard drive. The only  downside is going with a 3.5 inch drive will require a separate power source since they cannot be powered over USB.

Message 2 of 4
Robert00
Aspirant

Thank you Razor512 for the explanation. I may consider other external hard which is not necessarily a SSD.

Message 3 of 4
Robert00
Aspirant

I bought Samsng T7 2TB SSD, and it works great with my router RAX70. Thank you @Razor512

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7