× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it normal my iPhone 11 Pro's wifi speed limited to ~450Mbps when i connect to AX8 5GHz?

cyruslego
Aspirant

Is it normal my iPhone 11 Pro's wifi speed limited to ~450Mbps when i connect to AX8 5GHz?

I just bought AX8 yesterday and I connected to 5GHz and the results were all limited to around 450Mbps (451 highest), is it because of the channel i chose? (I'm using 160), and which chnnel or settings can make it even faster? Thank you!!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18
plemans
Guru

Re: Is it normal my iPhone 11 Pro's wifi speed limited to ~450Mbps when i connect to AX8 5GHz?

to use the full 160hrz spectrum you need to be using the dfs channels. so make sure that 160hrz is enabled, that you've selected 4800mbps, and that you select the lower spectrum 5ghz channels so you can utilize dfs. I could be wrong but my understanding was that if you select the higher 5ghz channels, it auto selects 2400mbps and not 4800mbps.  

Message 2 of 18
cyruslego
Aspirant

Re: Is it normal my iPhone 11 Pro's wifi speed limited to ~450Mbps when i connect to AX8 5GHz?

Oh yes sorry should be 161, should i switch the mode to 4800mbps?
Message 3 of 18
plemans
Guru

It'll auto switch you back to 2400mbps until you set your 5ghz channels to the lower spectrum. So set your channel selection down and then set it to 4800mbps. 

Message 4 of 18
avtella
Prodigy

If I recall correctly, the iPhone 11 does not support HT160 it’s HT80 only. Also I believe there are some issues with the WiFi firmware that were supposed to be fixed on the iPhone 11 in the recent .1 iOS update.

If it’s any solace, either way I doubt it makes much of a difference on a mobile device as you’d realistically probably never use anywhere close to that much bandwidth on a phone at any given time other than benchmarks like Ookla or DSL Reports.
Message 5 of 18
plemans
Guru

@avtella wrote:
If I recall correctly, the iPhone 11 does not support HT160 it’s HT80 only. Also I believe there are some issues with the WiFi firmware that were supposed to be fixed on the iPhone 11 in the recent .1 iOS update.

If it’s any solace, either way I doubt it makes much of a difference on a mobile device as you’d realistically probably never use anywhere close to that much bandwidth on a phone at any given time other than benchmarks like Ookla or DSL Reports.

thanks, I'm not an apple guy so wasn't aware of the Iphone limitations. 

Message 6 of 18
cyruslego
Aspirant

Should i enable MU-MIMO?
Message 7 of 18
avtella
Prodigy

Also note that WiFi-6 will realistically only give you like 5-10% increase in performance over WiFi-5, and maybe up to 15-20% in rare cases as 1024QAM is more sensitive to noise so don’t expect to be at max link rate all the time. WiFi-6 is more about better spectrum sharing especially in multi AP/router environments allowing for better performance in signal dense situations.

450 Mbps is actually pretty decent benchmark and, and also depends how close you are to the router and how many walls/floors are between you and the router as well. I wouldn’t expect more than say 600-800 Mbps peak real world throughout and that too at close ranges.
Message 8 of 18
cyruslego
Aspirant

Got it! Thanks so much for explaining that to me, i thought wifi6 will make my connection much faster
Message 9 of 18
plemans
Guru

agree with @avtella speed assessments and speed increases. you really aren't going to see a whole lot of change. Its more about handling multiple connection simultaneously. 

450mbps is quite fantastic and other than updates or downloading large files, you're phone isn't even going to fully utilize that. 

Message 10 of 18
cyruslego
Aspirant

Also the MU-MIMO do i need to enable it?
Message 11 of 18
cyruslego
Aspirant

Yes i expected too much on wifi 6. And when i use my old iPad to test it’s a huge difference
Message 12 of 18
avtella
Prodigy

MU-MIMO helps if you have at least 2 MU capable devices as the router lumps multiple MU devices into a single grouping for transmissions. Basically a router rotated between devices 1 at a time for transmissions in a round robin fashion but it happens so fast that it seems like all devices are transmitting back and forth at once. What MU does is it allows multiple MU capable devices to be talked to in parallel. But MU is only most useful when there’s a big enough distance between the MU capable devices, I think like more than 3ft (don’t quote me on that). You can enable MU, won’t really hurt but some Broadcom based MU devices actually do worse with MU enabled, the iPhone uses a Broadcom WiFi chipset but maybe that issue is fixed in this gen of their WiFi chipsets.
Message 13 of 18
cyruslego
Aspirant

I just tried and it seems a bit slower than not enabling it. I’ll just keep it off. Thank you all for the quick replies!!
Message 14 of 18
vinniemac
Luminary

Both iPhone 11 and Galaxy S10 phones only support HT80 in AX so you won’t achieve max link rate, even if HT160 is set in the 5Ghz WiFi band.
Theoretically you should be able to get half link rate 1.2Gbps but this is link rate which is different than throughput.

Unfortunately and I’ve raised a ticket with Apple since iOS 13 there seems to be a WiFi throughput issue so my iPhone X being only AC can achieve around 300Mbps throughput on downstream.
This is somewhat lower than the 650Mbps on iOS 12.
It seems related to AX routers so could be compatibility issues that need ironing out.

In the AX8 and AX12 routers HT160 is dynamic and as long as it’s selected in the 5Ghz WiFi band settings you only need to select the primary channel. The primary channel could be DFS or non DFS.

Each Chanel is HT20 so a block of 8 channels for HT160 consisting of lower and upper (DFS) channels.
I wouldn’t recommend setting a DFS channel as a primary channel in case you have any legacy devices that don’t support DFS channels.

So 450Mbps from your iPhone 11 is much lower than you should expect but this can also depend what ookla server you’re using, time of day, server load etc...

650-700 would be reasonable depending on your internet connection.

Still 450Mbps is not so bad.

I think there’s a common misconception that AX is going to bring astonishing speeds but the reality is, there’s nothing wrong with AX but speeds are going to be marginal over AC.

Where AX does come in to its own is with many many AX clients connected, resulting in overall improved performance, reliability and stability.

If you don’t have many AX clients you won’t notice much difference.

Yes I know this comment goes against the marketing hype but it’s just reality and please don’t let this influence your purchasing.

Cheers.
Message 15 of 18
digitsnbits
Apprentice

I have an RAX80 and a couple of iPhone 11s and they both link at 1200, even my AC clients hover around 700 and my iPad pros link at 866.

Message 16 of 18
3du
Aspirant
Aspirant

@avtella wrote:
Also note that WiFi-6 will realistically only give you like 5-10% increase in performance over WiFi-5, and maybe up to 15-20% in rare cases as 1024QAM is more sensitive to noise so don’t expect to be at max link rate all the time. WiFi-6 is more about better spectrum sharing especially in multi AP/router environments allowing for better performance in signal dense situations.

450 Mbps is actually pretty decent benchmark and, and also depends how close you are to the router and how many walls/floors are between you and the router as well. I wouldn’t expect more than say 600-800 Mbps peak real world throughout and that too at close ranges.

But does the iphone 11 has 1024QAM?

I just bought one and didn't tink it had it

I'm thinking of buying a router, it could help me a lot to make a choice

Message 17 of 18
sydlow
Aspirant

That's very odd. I have a RAX50 and it's definitely faster than 450Mbps

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7