× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is the AX12 (RAX120) overkill for the "normal" home when compared to AX8?

bparkerb8
Follower

Is the AX12 (RAX120) overkill for the "normal" home when compared to AX8?

I am going back and forth on if I should get the AX12 through the premier Beta program or just buy the AX8.  I would say I have an average number of devices conncected to wifi (phones, tablets, cameras, thermostat, cable, ect).  I have comcast 1gig service with the CM1100 modem.  

My question is would I be able to even see a noticable difference with wifi performance from the AX8 and AX12 to justify getting the AX12?

Thank you in advance for the help...

Model: RAX120| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 4
Redtulips7
Luminary

@bparkerb8 wrote:

I am going back and forth on if I should get the AX12 through the premier Beta program or just buy the AX8.  I would say I have an average number of devices conncected to wifi (phones, tablets, cameras, thermostat, cable, ect).  I have comcast 1gig service with the CM1100 modem.  

My question is would I be able to even see a noticable difference with wifi performance from the AX8 and AX12 to justify getting the AX12?

Thank you in advance for the help...

No None so far with this FW!!! I bought it bc I am always get the NG Flagship Router!! Don't ask me why?? ASUS Router has better range and NG Router just looks cool!! NG Engineer's takes very long time to release stable FW and by the time this Router will have mature FW, NG will release new Router...............

Model: RAX120| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@bparkerb8 wrote:

Unless you have a number of sophisticated Wi-Fi 6 (802.1ax) clients where some difference on performance is possible, as long as you use the common 802.11ac and older 802.11n wireless clients, there won't be a difference from a good 802.11ac router.

Message 3 of 4

In it's present state I'd consider the RAX120 as underkill.

I have one that will likely go back at end of trial.

IMO,the R7800 is still the best Netgear router available today and it gets 1,733.3 Mbps data rate when client is an Intel 9260 using 5ghz band and channels 36-48.

Don't fall for being a beta tester at a very high cost to you.

Premier Membership Beta 2 years = $480 USD

Premier Membership Beta 1 year = $300 USD

Premier Membership Beta Monthly with opt out any time = $30/mo

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7