× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue with Google Nest Wifi Router

aaron_aus
Aspirant

Issue with Google Nest Wifi Router

Hey folks
I have an AX5 AX4200 Nighthawk Router used for nbn 250mbps. Due to the size and layout of my house, I also run Google Nest Mesh ( one google nest Wifi router and two nest Wifi points). Has been working fine for months.

Suddenly the mesh started to drop out over the past week and today it’s stopped working completely. You could connect but no internet. Router and devices connected by Ethernet work fine.

So I did some research. Factory reset of all google Wifi points and router. Removed and deleted them in google home. Started fresh.

Now I can’t get the nest Wifi router to connect. Keeps coming up with failed to connect.

After more research it seems this is a router issue not a google issue. I’ve tried so many ways to resolve but simply can’t get it on. Tried different ports. Powered off and disconnect both. I can use the router both with Ethernet and Wifi but it doesn’t reach the whole house.

Anyone else had this issue and managed to successfully resolve it?

Cheers.
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
aaron_aus
Aspirant

Re: Issue with Google Nest Wifi Router

Thanks very much.

But I can happily say I’ve resolved it after trawling through the net and triple checking the settings in the router.

In case anyone else ever has this; for some reason the access controls had turned on and were actively blocking the google router from joining. Once I allowed it, I could add and setup without issue.

So much frustration for such a stupid thing.

Anyway. Thanks again. Really appreciate the answers and suggestions.

Aaron.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If the RAX is working fine but the google isn't, what makes you think its the RAX causing issues? 

One other thing to keep in mind is that google doesn't have an easily setup for access point mode. 

It causes a double nat. Some devices work fine in a double nat, others don't.

You could try putting the primary google router's IP address into the netgears DMZ and see if that 'll help. 

Message 2 of 8

@aaron_aus wrote:
Hey folks
I have an AX5 AX4200 Nighthawk Router used for nbn 250mbps.

Is that the RAX42/RAX43?

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 3 of 8
aaron_aus
Aspirant

Hey there @plemans 

jus from what I've researched on various forums, suggesting that various people had/have similar issues with Google Mesh Routers and suddenly dropping off.   It's weird; worked on this router for months - no issues.  Suddenly I can't connect.   Sigh.

Thanks for the info - I'll look into the Nat issue. 

Cheers,

Message 4 of 8
aaron_aus
Aspirant

Thanks @michaelkenward 

My model is the RAX43.

I'll check out the doco.  In regards to posting in the right place, do I repost or can I link to that forum?

Cheers,

Aaron

Message 5 of 8

@aaron_aus wrote:

Thanks @michaelkenward 

My model is the RAX43.

I'll check out the doco.  In regards to posting in the right place, do I repost or can I link to that forum?

Cheers,

Aaron

Seeing the (lack of) response here so far I'd be tempted to try again in the right place.

Of course, it might also be good to talk to the experts on Google Nest, wherever they are.

Message 6 of 8
aaron_aus
Aspirant

Thanks very much.

But I can happily say I’ve resolved it after trawling through the net and triple checking the settings in the router.

In case anyone else ever has this; for some reason the access controls had turned on and were actively blocking the google router from joining. Once I allowed it, I could add and setup without issue.

So much frustration for such a stupid thing.

Anyway. Thanks again. Really appreciate the answers and suggestions.

Aaron.
Message 7 of 8

@aaron_aus wrote:

Well done Sherlock. Neat detective work.

With luck it will reduce the frustration for someone else.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7