× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Issues with 5GHz band

mfsinger
Star

Issues with 5GHz band

I have had my RAX80 for about two months now and have had constant issues. It is currently running V1.0.1.58_1.0.24. Smart Connect is NOT enabled anymore after I discovered that I would have to reinstall my printers every time I needed to print. Ridiculous. Then I started to notice problems getting to various devices in my house. My iPhone could not locate my Sonos Play 5 even though the Sonos was on and playing music. I have a small NAS that I use to hold video files that need editing so I will copy them over to the device. It is hardwired to my network along with any device we use for streaming or gaming (no gaming actually occurs though). The files that I move to the NAS are either located on my iMac or my MacBook Pro. Both of these devices use WiFi and know both my 2.4GHZ and 5GHz SSID's. Last night was sort of an "AH HA!" moment as I was trying to move a few files from my MacBook Pro. These files were no more than 500MB's. The transfer was taking minutes to complete. I decided to switch from the 5GHz to the 2.4GHz while a transfer was happening. As soon as the computer connected, the files just flew. 

For what it's worth, I decided to go with a Netgear product at the recommendation of a friend. I needed to replace our Airport Basestation which just didn't have the coverage we needed. Our house isn't huge but it's really old (built around 1902) and my bedroom/office/man cave is on the second floor. I was having issues with a few items not getting a strong enough signal. The RAX80 coverage blew my mind when I installed it. I even have coverage outside in our detached garage which isn't a necessity but a bonus. The problem is that coverage means nothing if your router is a pile of crap and so far... DING DING DING... We have a CRAP WINNER!

I'm thoroughly annoyed at this point because I honestly don't have time for troubleshooting with Netgear's people. I opened a case and they have called me but I'm dealing with the death of my stepfather and all the things associated with being the executor of his estate. My previous experience with Netgear router's has been subpar. I returned a Nighthawk about 2 years ago after owning it for three months. I basically begged and pleaded with Best Buy and showed them all the issues I continued to have. Against my better judgement, I bought another Netgear and I am regretting it. 

One last thing. I often find I cannot even connect to the d**n thing by going to routerlogin.net. I get an error message two or three times and then one of two things happens. I either get connected somehow or I have to reboot the router. My thought is to completely deactivate the 5GHz signal but if I do that, I am not getting what I paid for. If that is the solution, Netgear needs to send me a refund check. It shouldn't be like this. 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
mfsinger
Star

Nothing. Got it. I'm walking away with "Netgear equals garbage product. Do not buy again. Ever." Thread closed. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
mfsinger
Star

Um, I guess I forgot to add the "Any ideas?" part. This was intended to be a question but I am in vent mode right now. My apologies. Life sometimes...

Message 2 of 4
mfsinger
Star

Nothing. Got it. I'm walking away with "Netgear equals garbage product. Do not buy again. Ever." Thread closed. 

Message 3 of 4
Drew-M
Aspirant

For people who stumble across this thread like I have turning off QoS solved a lot of issues with my 5g band. Went from having multiple drops/stutters every hour to no hiccups so far
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7